Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Redhead (2 reports)
- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Willet (Western) (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Redhead (Aythya americana) (12)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 18:14 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Counted by 1s. One female with 6 young and 5 in a separate group that drifted over into SLO co. Plain brown medium-sized Aythya with white bellies, smudgy white on face, rounded heads. Lacked prominent white patch on front of head. Young birds actively diving with female in SBco."

Redhead (Aythya americana) (12)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 18:14 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Counted by 1s. One female with 6 young and 5 in a separate group that drifted over into SLO co. Plain brown medium-sized Aythya with white bellies, smudgy white on face, rounded heads. Lacked prominent white patch on front of head. Young birds actively diving with female in SBco."

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (3)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 07:40 by Susanne Meyer
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Heard at least 3 vocalizations from different areas, some closer by, some further away. Recorded one, unfortunately with airplane noise in the background"

Willet (Western) (Tringa semipalmata inornata) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 09:34 by Catherine Steinberg
- Coal Oil Point--Devereux Beach and Sands Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071359,-119.8783064&ll=34.4071359,-119.8783064
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Two birds, overall grayish plumage, white lateral stripe I'm wings when in flight, bluish gray legs, photos to add."

Willet (Western) (Tringa semipalmata inornata) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 09:34 by Sandrine Biziaux-Scherson
- Coal Oil Point--Devereux Beach and Sands Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071359,-119.8783064&ll=34.4071359,-119.8783064
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Two birds, overall grayish plumage, white lateral stripe I'm wings when in flight, bluish gray legs, photos to add."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 08:03 by Laurel S Luby
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird, seen from bike path across from bushes behind park residence. Grayish back, large black bill. Photo attached"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (3 reports)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 08:32 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Calling for about 8 sec from the channel."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 07:50 by margeNdon thornton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized egret, darker on back ; front, neck and head lighter, all tinged pink, well defined whitish eyering, pinkish beak with black tip."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 11:15 by Ron Hirst
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Immature, facial pattern emerging. On the airport side of the bridge"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 10:59 by Hans Spiecker
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "With BCNHs, continuing"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 08:32 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "I’m not sure about this bird. The best photos are flight shots from a video. The bird was grayish. In my opinion, my photos of the bill, the chin, and the leg length are not definitive. Other opinions sought."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2020 06:25 by Mark Holmgren
- Old Hwy 101- 34.5280 -120.1912, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.528038,-120.191206&ll=34.528038,-120.191206
- Comments: "Singing loudly for 5 min, it moved S 200m to 34.52739 -120.18921 where it sang a few times, then the song faded away over the mountain and was not heard again. I did not get a recording. It did not respond to playback. The most similar song of our locals would have been Black-headed Grosbeak. It differed in its explosiveness, the phrases ran into each other and were not punctuated by a slight pause. I did not detect any call notes accompanying the song."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Snowy Plover (nivosus) (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2020 11:51 by Libby Patten
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Heard squeaky call notes and it occasionally popped out from reeds south of Phelps creek bridge. Couldn’t get a picture, but added a sound file (with some nearby construction noise). Pretty noisy bird. Vocalization style seems to indicate an immature bird, although its bill was a dark orange, more typical of an adult."

Snowy Plover (nivosus) (Charadrius nivosus nivosus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 06:55 by Lisa Stratton
- UC Santa Barbara--Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.407,-119.848&ll=34.407,-119.848

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (2 reports)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 24, 2020 19:59 by Linus Blomqvist
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 4 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "One reported from here earlier today. I saw two at the same time. Rail with long-ish slightly curved bill, orange breast, gray cheek and striped back. Also heard high-pitched shriek and a metallic chi-di."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 24, 2020 10:56 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Seen in the near reeds looking down from the Phelps Creek bridge (toward the south). No vocalizations were heard. (See photo.)"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 23, 2020 11:00 by Bernice Hilton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Known bird, near mouth of estuary. Roosting on log , near 5 Snowy Egrets on adjacent log."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eared Grebe (1 report)
- Virginia Rail (5 reports)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (4)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 10:00 by Cachuma Lake
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Comments: "West end near dam"

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 14:45 by margeNdon thornton
- NCOS-Creekside, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4216121,-119.8790442&ll=34.4216121,-119.8790442
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "In the reeds south of the bridge. Mostly a rufous brown, grey on the head with brown center stripe and black around the orangish eye. Beak bi-colored, black above and dark orange below."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 18:20 by Susanne Meyer
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird on south side of Phelps bridge"

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 08:25 by Andrew McGrath
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing bird in reeds south of Phelps creek bridge"

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 06:50 by James Chapman
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Rusty brown rail with gray cheeks."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 25, 2020 06:50 by George Chapman
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Rusty brown rail with gray cheeks and long bill. One on north side of the Phelps bridge and one on south side, as previously reported by Libby Patten."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 24, 2020 14:20 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Ynez River Estuary, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.690362,-120.600358&ll=34.690362,-120.600358
- Comments: "One seen from 35th St looking up the channelbut details were difficult to get due to heat waves. Another seen at Ocean Beach Park. Probably the same individual."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 08:00 by Deann Purcell
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "On the southeast side of Phelps Creek bridge, in the reeds about 12 feet from the bridge. Easily seen, though we waited about 40 minutes for him to emerge. Photo taken."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 18:30 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing immature bird in brush East of bridge plus my first sighting of a juvenile foraging on opposite side of Slough mouth photographed from parking lot."

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 26, 2020 08:41 by Mark Holmgren
- WCC Camp 34.5243 -119.9237, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.524254,-119.923691&ll=34.524254,-119.923691
- Comments: "I recognize the awkwardness of reporting this. Kevin and I saw a small Accipiter perched atop a burned pine. Our look was brief but I saw a gray bird with a banded tail (brown bands on gray tail), gray body, raptor profile, and predator's bill. Kevin saw white undertail coverts. The bird flew to the north and I attempted a flight photo, but failed. Its wing shape and flight pattern was not falcon-like; the wing tips were rounded and wingbeat was not rapid like that of a falcon. The small size of the bird was most impressive."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Redhead (2 reports)
- Eared Grebe (2 reports)
- American Coot (Red-shielded) (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Redhead (Aythya americana) (1)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Presumably continuing bird? Mid-sized dark Aythya with plain face, dark bill—female-type. Spotted vegetation clumps mid-estuary, but regularly swam into reeds in south and vanished. At one point, a bird that was presumably the same bird took off from the southern reeds, looped towards SLO co. and back. Photos. No sign of young birds sighted earlier—perhaps back in reeds."

Redhead (Aythya americana) (1)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted by LC; presumably continuing bird? Mid-sized dark Aythya with plain face, dark bill—female-type. Spotted vegetation clumps mid-estuary, but regularly swam into reeds in south and vanished. At one point, a bird that was presumably the same bird took off from the southern reeds, looped towards SLO co. and back. Photos. No sign of young birds sighted earlier—perhaps back in reeds."

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (3)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted by SMT. At least this number of adults in full breeding regalia. Dark grebes with triangular dorito heads and fine golden whiskers over auriculars. Stuck close to the waterside vegetation (bulrushes; But calling it ‘reedy’ since ‘bulrushy’ sounds silly). Two adults moving together appeared to have trailing youngsters, but looks suboptimal and supporting photos even more so. Photos of one available, the pair was too distant and the lighting too dark for photos."

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) (3)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "At least this number of adults in full breeding regalia. Dark grebes with triangular dorito heads and fine golden whiskers over auriculars. Stuck close to the waterside vegetation (bulrushes; But calling it ‘reedy’ since ‘bulrushy’ sounds silly). Two adults moving together appeared to have trailing youngsters, but looks suboptimal and supporting photos even more so. Photos of one available, the pair was too distant and the lighting too dark for photos."

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (50)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (50)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 19:16 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Scattered throughout."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 27, 2020 17:55 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing to see the same birds from yesterday. Immature bird was roosting in his usual spot in the brush east of the bridge. Juvenile bird standing below the observation deck to the right at the water's edge. It took off and landed a bit further down stream at the water's edge on the parking lot side of the slough."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Dunlin (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2020 07:13 by Glenn Kincaid
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing, two birds seen flying briefly over the vegetation south of the bridge."

Dunlin (Calidris alpina) (1)
- Reported Jul 24, 2020 08:15 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Brown on back so presumably juvenile"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 28, 2020 09:22 by John Deacon
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Ongoing."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (2 reports)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 29, 2020 09:43 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing bird, but only one was seen."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 29, 2020 08:28 by Susanne Meyer
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Saw one bird briefly looking down from Phelps bridge and heard a lot of vocalizations from the reeds. Submitting an audio - with construction noise in the background"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (2 reports)
- Reddish Egret (3 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 08:12 by Tom Beland
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Heard one vocalizing one side of Phelps bridge saw continuing bird on other side of the bridge"

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 08:12 by Laurel S Luby
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Heard one vocalizing one side of Phelps bridge saw continuing bird on other side of the bridge"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 17:15 by Larry Chen
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Continuing immature with patchy plumage (looking better than last time though!). Flew in and did a half-hearted dance before flying back upriver."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 17:15 by Sarah Toner
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Continuing immature with patchy plumage (looking better than last time though!). Flew in and did a half-hearted dance before flying back upriver."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 08:58 by David Blue
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Twice flew back and forth under the railroad bridge where it actively foraged (in its wing-spreading dancing style) in the closer, shallower channel on the ocean side. The color of this immature bird was mostly murky, with grays and sandy browns."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 30, 2020 17:40 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "continuing immature in brush east of bridge and juvenile standing on rocks at parking lot side of slough mouth"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (3 reports)
- Pacific Golden-Plover (1 report)
- Semipalmated Sandpiper (3 reports)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (4 reports)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 09:19 by Sarah Toner
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing birds at (34.4214084, -119.8789356). Heard both grunt and kiddick vocalizations. One bird glimpsed briefly in veg just south of bridge—medium-small rallid with black-and-white-striped flanks, warm chestnut-brown upperparts, black streaks on back. Other, on community side of bridge, unseen. May have heard additional kiddick calls around here (34.4204319, -119.8779560)."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 09:19 by Larry Chen
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing birds at (34.4214084, -119.8789356). Heard both grunt and kiddick vocalizations. One bird glimpsed briefly in veg just south of bridge—medium-small rallid with black-and-white-striped flanks, warm chestnut-brown upperparts, black streaks on back. Other, on community side of bridge, unseen. May have heard additional kiddick calls around here (34.4204319, -119.8779560)."

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 08:18 by Barbara Millett
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Rusty colored bird with gray face and longish orange bill. 1 individual on N. side of Phelps Bridge, only briefly out in open. Returning an hour later I saw 1 individual foraging on S. side of Phelps Bridge in reeds, while at the same time another birder spotted another individual on N. side of bridge."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 08:44 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Ynez River Estuary, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.690362,-120.600358&ll=34.690362,-120.600358
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Adult. Giving two syllable call “tu-weet, tu-weet, tu-weet“. Distinguished from BbP{l by petite stature and bill, white sides from neck to vent, dark cap well delineated by bold white supercilium. This bird would not have been viewable from Ocean Beach Park. It was seen on both sides of 35th St."

Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 19:41 by Lori Gaskin
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Juvenile East of Phelps Bridge along shore of main channel. Short stubby bill, dorsal coloration more uniform than Western. Legs and wings longer than Least."

Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 19:38 by Linus Blomqvist
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Seen earlier today by other birders. Much like western sandpiper except much shorter, straight, and blunt bill. Plumage seemed crisp so must be a juvenile. A bit larger, grayer than least, and with black legs. Including a photo from a long distance in poor light."

Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 19:38 by Santiago Lupi
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Found earlier today. Adrian O'Loghlen helped me locate the bird first and then Mark Holmgren also helped me with the ID. The main difference I saw between it and the other peeps was the bill. It’s short and pretty straight compared to the others. I saw it foraging in the mud by the water from (34.4212608, -119.8780405)."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 12:25 by Glenn Kincaid
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 16:16 by Sarah Toner
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "Extremely streaky youngster. Huge bill, long legs. Digibinned photo here, at https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/54993558"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 16:16 by Larry Chen
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "Extremely streaky youngster. Huge bill, long legs. Digibinned photo here, at https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/54993558"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 13:06 by Larry Chen
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing immature bird. Huge bill, long legs. Can provide poor photos if necessary."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 13:06 by Sarah Toner
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing immature bird. Huge bill, long legs. Can provide poor photos if necessary."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 10:00 by John Mueller
- Bates Rd. bridge (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.379261,-119.4752696&ll=34.379261,-119.4752696
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Seen crossing the bridge from Ventura to SB along with Davis Garner. Bright male, constantly preening. Seen at close range and then flew to the sycamore deeper inside SB county before it fled."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Merlin (2 reports)

Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 19:41 by Mark Holmgren
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile East of Phelps Bridge along shore of main channel. Short stubby bill, dorsal coloration more uniform than Western. Legs and wings longer than Least."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Jul 31, 2020 16:20 by Ron Hirst
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "One juvenile, upright with blocky head and bill. One first summer with emerging face pattern,"

Merlin (Falco columbarius) (1)
- Reported Aug 01, 2020 18:45 by Hannah Kistner
- 421 Anacapa St, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.41747, -119.69387, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.417466,-119.693873&ll=34.417466,-119.693873
- Comments: "Landed on rooftop, flew to light post, flew to palm tree and out of sight. Dark cap and dark wings, fast flying and fast wing-beats."

Merlin (Falco columbarius) (1)
- Reported Aug 01, 2020 18:45 by Dustin H
[...]

- Reported Aug 02, 2020 09:36 by Peter Schneekloth
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing dark morph juv."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Cackling Goose (Aleutian) (2 reports)
- Redhead (2 reports)
- American Coot (Red-shielded) (2 reports)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)

Cackling Goose (Aleutian) (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia) (1)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 17:47 by Larry Chen
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Comments: "Presumably long-time resident bird. Tiny goose with adorably stubby bill and white neck ring, hanging out on island in main pond. Can provide photos if necessary."

Cackling Goose (Aleutian) (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia) (1)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 17:47 by Sarah Toner
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Comments: "Presumably long-time resident bird. Tiny goose with adorably stubby bill and white neck ring, hanging out on island in main pond. Can provide photos if necessary."

Redhead (Aythya americana) (2)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 19:10 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Continuing presence. Two drab, brown-headed, dark-billed Aythya. No sign of young birds. Photos."

Redhead (Aythya americana) (2)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 19:10 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Continuing presence. Two drab, brown-headed, dark-billed Aythya. No sign of young birds. Photos."

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (30)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 19:10 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "All hugging bulrush line in back."

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (30)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 19:10 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "All hugging bulrush line in back."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 03, 2020 17:20 by Michael I Christie
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Initially I thought two, but later only one for sure, in slough, same area as last time."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- California Towhee (2 reports)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 15:59 by Adam Searcy
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Adult roosting on west side of east island with DCCOs. Obviously smaller cormorant. Underparts appeared glossy black with scaly back-pattern/wing panel with slight gloss of green (details not easily discernible), long tail, yellow bill with obvious white feathering at base."

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by Rose Leibowitz
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by Jim Moore
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Wilson's Snipe (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- California Towhee (2 reports)

Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) (1)
- Reported Aug 05, 2020 12:35 by Mark Holmgren
- Lake Cachuma - Jackrabbit Flats, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5696862,-119.9422288&ll=34.5696862,-119.9422288
- Media: 1 Photo

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (2)
- Reported Aug 05, 2020 15:28 by Glenn Kincaid
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "1 Reported yesterday. 1 on easternmost island, poor photos of this bird. 1 on western edge near Zoo. Bird in top of photo, smaller than adjacent Double-crested cormorants with pronounced white border to cheek patch."

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by Adrian Douglas
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by Southwest Bird Study Club
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- California Towhee (1 report)

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Aug 06, 2020 13:34 by Jamie Chavez
- Santa Maria WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9487269,-120.4915452&ll=34.9487269,-120.4915452
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Found a single juvenile Solitary Sandpiper along the shoreline of the first large settling pond west of the sludge beds. Too distant for decent photos. It eventually flew west uttering a loud whistled 'weet' call. It was identified by its overall olive-colored upperparts, thin straight bill, darkish smudging on the sides of the breast pale lores forming a whitish stripe or eyebrow with a noticeable white eye ring as seen through spotting scope."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 06, 2020 08:56 by Lukas Le Grice
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "This bird has been reported here for the last two days. First observed flying into the refuge at 11:26am, attempting to land on the occupied branch that it has been seen on recently. Smaller than nearby double-crested cormorants with vivid white cheek border. On the west side of the eastern-most island, viewed from the second platform."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Aug 06, 2020 16:35 by Ron Hirst
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "One with face pattern, one juvenile with blocky bill, distinct neck and underpart streaking, fine epelaut chevrons"

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by Jim Houghton
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Redhead (2 reports)
- American Coot (Red-shielded) (2 reports)
- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)

Redhead (Aythya americana) (7)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 18:02 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Continuing presence here. Dull plain-headed Aythya with dark hills, rounded profiles. Photos. Three in one group, four in another, all seen on one scan."

Redhead (Aythya americana) (7)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 18:02 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Continuing presence here. Dull plain-headed Aythya with dark hills, rounded profiles. Photos. Three in one group, four in another, all seen on one scan."

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (35)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 18:02 by Larry Chen
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Mostly hugging bulrushes."

American Coot (Red-shielded) (Fulica americana (Red-shielded)) (35)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 18:02 by Sarah Toner
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Mostly hugging bulrushes."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 09:46 by Jamie Chavez
- Jim May Park (fmr River Oaks Park), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9747532,-120.4258633&ll=34.9747532,-120.4258633
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile observed with Killdeer, Semipalmated Plovers, and peeps. Appeared smaller, darker, and slimmer than a Lesser Yellowlegs it was in close proximity to. It had dark olive-brown upperparts, with gray on the sides of the upper breast but the central breast area was white. It showed small fine white spotting on the upperparts. It had a thin straight bill, and a prominent white eye-ring showing a spectacled appearance. It was feeding in shallow water mostly on its own. It flew off at one point where the all white tail with blackish central feathers were seen well. Photographed."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 07, 2020 07:54 by Deann Purcell
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "On the same cluster of branches on the west side of the easternmost island, as noted by others the last few days. Much smaller than the other cormorants present."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Solitary Sandpiper (2 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (3 reports)
- Reddish Egret (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (3 reports)
- California Towhee (1 report)

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 12:08 by Kilian Hampl
- Santa Maria WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9487269,-120.4915452&ll=34.9487269,-120.4915452
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Photos. Continuing bird reported by Jamie Chavez."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 12:08 by Liam Hampl
- Santa Maria WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9487269,-120.4915452&ll=34.9487269,-120.4915452
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Photos. Continuing bird reported by Jamie Chavez."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 17:21 by Thomas Miko
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Adult type of bird with sharp angle to the white patch at the base of the bill. Noticeably smaller than the adjacent double-crested cormorants. Photos obtained that will be added later this weekend."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 14:19 by Larry Chen
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Continuing small long-tailed cormorant. Dark head, bright white line along base of lower mandible. Flew in from a hidden cove to the left of the parking lot opening and landed on the closest island. Photos."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 14:19 by Sarah Toner
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Continuing small long-tailed cormorant. Dark head, bright white line along base of lower mandible. Flew in from a hidden cove to the left of the parking lot opening and landed on the closest island. Photos."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 09:08 by Alex Loos
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 07:30 by Rob Denholtz
- CA, Carpinteria, Carpinteria Salt Marsh & Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3986926,-119.5336282&ll=34.3986926,-119.5336282
- Comments: "On Santa Monica Creek. In eclipse plumage."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 10:50 by Libby Patten
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Immature. At drain pipe on northwest corner of area next to mobile homes."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (5)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 06:29 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Two juvenile birds were in the channel that parallels the railroad tracks, on the south side of the fence, about 100 yards west of the Estero Way entrance gate. Two more juvenile birds in the main channel just south of the weather station. Later, one juvenile (presumably one of the two seen at the beginning) was in the channel by the Estero Way entrance kiosk. Still later, a subadult was seen under the bridge at the south end of Sandyland Cove Road. This last bird appeared to have an injured left foot or leg; it held the foot off the ground and hopped on its right foot when moving."

California Towhee (Melozone crissalis) (1)
- Reported Aug 04, 2020 11:10 by julie rush
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0187319,-119.6821404&ll=34.0187319,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Seen near the shoreline. All brown with redish vent. Not sure why it's uncommon."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Neotropic Cormorant (1 report)
- Reddish Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)
- Red-eyed Vireo (2 reports)
- Cedar Waxwing (2 reports)

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Aug 08, 2020 11:04 by David Compton
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Continuing adult. Two adults have been present previously, with one of them present since 4 August and a second present only on 5 August, when it was photographed by Hugh Ranson. The original bird has a more extensive and prominent white chin patch, and is an obvious adult. The second also appeared to be an adult, although the white patch was less obvious. The bird I identified appeared to be the original, with the greater amount of white. Otherwise, it was an all dark cormorant with a longer tail relative to body length compared to Double-cresteds perched nearby, and clearly smaller in stature. No yellow/orange was visible above the eye or in the lores, and the bill was duller compared to those of Double-cresteds. The facial skin was clearly orangish, but not as orange as in the Double-cresteds."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 18:10 by Michael I Christie
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "One hunting in shallow water 'behind' island's Western mud-flat, close to group of Great and Snowy Egrets."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 09:21 by John Callender
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing, feeding west of the railroad bridge."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 08:37 by Tom Beland
- Salt Marsh Nature Park, Carpinteria US-CA (34.3967,-119.5275), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.396718,-119.527499&ll=34.396718,-119.527499
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "One adult and one juvenile"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (2)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 08:37 by Laurel S Luby
- Salt Marsh Nature Park, Carpinteria US-CA (34.3967,-119.5275), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.396718,-119.527499&ll=34.396718,-119.527499
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "One adult and one juvenile"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 09:54 by Mark Holmgren
- Refugio Rd--first creek crossing, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4695413,-120.0689661&ll=34.4695413,-120.0689661
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "A vireo started scolding above us at 34.47132 -120.06902. My first thought was that this was a Hutton's Vireo. But the calls seemed too forceful, too loud. I made the recording. Upon playing back the call, the bird was very hesitant to be seen by us. It was seen only briefly by Lori and me. What Mark saw was a larger bird with a longer tail, white undertail, and white belly, and no more. The call matched and the brief look suggested ReVi, but I do not know the calls of all possible vireos. This one matches well the scold of ReVi. A ReVi was see on 14 June 2020 1.86 miles N of Hwy 101 as the crow flies. Our bird today was 0.37 miles N of Hwy 101."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 09:54 by Lori Gaskin
- Refugio Rd--first creek crossing, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4695413,-120.0689661&ll=34.4695413,-120.0689661
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "A vireo started scolding above us at 34.47132 -120.06902. My first thought was that this was a Hutton's Vireo. But the calls seemed too forceful, too loud. I made the recording. Upon playing back the call, the bird was very hesitant to be seen by us. It was seen only briefly by Lori and me. What Mark saw was a larger bird with a longer tail, white undertail, and white belly, and no more. The call matched and the brief look suggested ReVi, but I do not know the calls of all possible vireos. This one matches well the scold of ReVi. A ReVi was see on 14 June 2020 1.86 miles N of Hwy 101 as the crow flies. Our bird today was 0.37 miles N of Hwy 101."

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) (1)
- Reported Aug 09, 2020 09:54 by Mark Holmgren
- Refugio Rd--first creek crossing, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4695413,-120.0689661&ll=34.4695413,-120.0689661
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile. Quite an early arrival from wherever it bred. One of several species feeding on the abundant crop of Coffeeberry along the E side of Refugio Rd. Birds showing up in SB County in early August are unusual."