Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Indigo Bunting (1 report)

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 11, 2020 17:07 by John Callender
- Lake Jocelyn, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3919961,-119.4772805&ll=34.3919961,-119.4772805
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Male at the northwest edge of the reedy patch at the southwest corner of the lakebed. Bright blue, but darker than the turquoise of male Lazuli Bunting, dark at the base of the beak, dark wings. I considered the possibility that the lighter patches on the bird's lower belly (visible in one of the photos) might indicate an Indigo x Lazuli hybrid, but after getting much-appreciated feedback I’m comfortable calling it an Indigo Bunting."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Aug 12, 2020 08:36 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing immature showing some mature face patterns foraging at edge of slough east of bridge"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 14, 2020 10:10 by David Sexton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Comments: "Continuing, viewed from gazebo. Photos"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 14, 2020 09:50 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Ynez River Estuary, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.690362,-120.600358&ll=34.690362,-120.600358
- Comments: "Present for at least a month here."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 14, 2020 11:02 by Betsy Mooney
- Goleta Beach Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4173939,-119.8280364&ll=34.4173939,-119.8280364
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile, moving back and forth east of the bridge."