Topics

[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <ebird-alert@...>
Date: Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9:44 PM
Subject: [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (2 reports)
- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (3 reports)
- Dusky Flycatcher (7 reports)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Savannah Sparrow (Large-billed) (1 report)
- Swamp Sparrow (1 report)
- Tennessee Warbler (2 reports)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 07:45 by John Callender
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing male. On the south bank of the main channel not far from Phelps Creek bridge."

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 03, 2021 13:58 by Aaron Kreisberg
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Seen on southern shore to the southeast of vista point near Phelps Creek bridge. Rufous sides to head with lighter cream colored streak down middle of head. White patches on upper wings very prominent when bird was preening. Bird was spotted by another birder (I had looked for it from Venoco bridge earlier and had not seen it). We got on it with our scopes and had excellent looks. With an American Wigeon drake."

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (9)
- Reported Jan 02, 2021 10:15 by Glenn Kincaid
- Gibraltar dam, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.524967,-119.685196&ll=34.524967,-119.685196
- Comments: "Not unusual at this spot during the winter.  Seen through spotting scope from LaCumbre Peak."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 10:52 by Bradley Hacker
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Empid. Rounded to peaked head, wide asymmetric white eyering, pale lores, pale gray throat, medium to short steely-bronze bill, breast is pale gray in middle and pale lemony at top and bottom, olive to pale brown back, medium-length dark brown wings with distinct white wingbars, and short notched tail. Lifting tail and flicking wings. Mostly on creek side of trail at right bend upstream from concrete weir(?)"

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 03, 2021 08:31 by David Compton
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Did not identify to species at the time, but I believe diagnostic photos since then show the bird to be a Hammond's. After seeing it in person on 3 January, and then looking at my photos, I leaned strongly toward Dusky, but I believe that theory has been disproved.

Found on 2 January 2021 by Gage Ricard. Rebecca Coulter and I got looks at the bird on 3 January, but it was pretty elusive, obviously spending a lot of time elsewhere, perhaps at the edge of the golf course across the creek. The bird foraged in mid-canopy and flicked it's tail with the quick motion typical of most empids. The head was clearly gray, and the whitish eye ring was fairly prominent in the rear, but more diffuse in front of the eye, due to the paler area in the lores. The head seemed to have a bit of a peak at the rear of the crown, although some of the photos show a very rounded appearance. The throat was gray and contrasted a bit with the underparts. The bill was relatively narrow. I could not discern color of the mandible, but it looked dark tipped and lightening, but still a dark orangish, toward the base. The tail appeared long for that of an empid when I saw the bird. Photos posted in other lists since then give a true sense of the tail length, as well as the wing length and primary projection. I did not get good looks at these features at the time. The wings did not contrast heavily with the body, although they appeared somewhat dark and brown. There was some faint yellow in the belly. The bird was silent."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 10:05 by Rebecca Coulter
- Arroyo Burro Creek nr Portofino, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4266291,-119.7503757&ll=34.4266291,-119.7503757
- Comments: "Text to come"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 13:35 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Seen at first in large tree across path from toyon. Small empidonax flycatcher with a partial eye-ring and pale breast. Smaller than a pacific-sloped flycatcher.  Eventually moved to reeds where previously seen a provided good looks."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 11:42 by Bradley Hacker
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Empid. Rounded to peaked head, weak to thin white eyering, pale lores, pale gray to white throat, medium to long steely-bronze bill with pale tip, breast fades from pale gray at top to pale yellow at bottom, olive to pale brown back, short dark brown wings with distinct white wingbars, and long narrow un-notched tail. Some characteristics compatible with HaFl (probably because of feather wear), but wings and tail indicative of DuFl. Initially in SE corner of park, but moved north to stumps ~30 farther north on east side of creeklet. Hawking insects from grass from perches on low tree branches, reeds and stump."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 11:30 by Barbara Millett
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Comments: "Small, round-headed Empid with pale wing bars and white eyeing.  Pale whitish throat.  Grayish-olive above.  Noted short primary projection which gives bird a long-tailed look.  Bill is narrow and dark gray above & orange below. Occasionally heard "whit" call.  Often flying short distances between tree stump, Toyon shrub, and ground, while flycatching."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 11:20 by Susanne Meyer
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "observed by several other birders at the same time"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 10:50 by Joan Kent
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Thanks to Wim van Dam who pointed it out and provided the details of distinction.  Empid with small bill, pale yellow blush on breast and belly and white wing bars.  Tail appears long due to short primaries.  Frequently did "whit" call."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 09:27 by margeNdon thornton
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "small, somewhat brownish gray empid, very light underneath, white wingbars, short primary projection."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 10:34 by Wim van Dam
- Bella Vista Open Space Park, Goleta US-CA 34.43859, -119.88315, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.438594,-119.883152&ll=34.438594,-119.883152
- Comments: "Continuing. Details to follow. Frequent “whit” call."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 09:18 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Ongoing bright red male. Photos"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 07:45 by John Callender
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Perched atop reeds in the extreme northwest corner of NCOS."

Savannah Sparrow (Large-billed) (Passerculus sandwichensis rostratus/atratus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 03, 2021 08:15 by Lisa Walker-Roseman
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "One is normal, the other is the "Large-billed" variety"

Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 12:07 by Glenn Kincaid
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Brief look from W side of outflow, near Zoo fence.  Water level has risen recently, covering ground where I had seen this bird previously.  Sparrow with rufous wings, white throat, and grayish breast."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 12:17 by Mark Holmgren
- 374 Arroyo Rd, Santa Barbara US-CA (34.4352,-119.7800), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.435174,-119.779977&ll=34.435174,-119.779977
- Comments: "Seen at 12:28pm."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 02, 2021 13:25 by Curtis Marantz
- Santa Barbara, Arroyo Road at Nueces Drive, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4355531,-119.7799547&ll=34.4355531,-119.7799547
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "I began hearing the sharp yet “sweet” chips and “seep” flight-calls by the continuing Tennessee Warbler shortly after we arrived and began checking the southernmost of the two bottlebrush trees on the east side of Arroyo Road immediately south of its intersection with Nueces Drive.  Over the next hour, we observed this bird repeatedly and I heard it call many times.  Although the warbler spent the vast majority of this period in this one tree, it was often buried amid the dense vegetation.  When seen, this bird moved actively about the tree attending what were really not all that many flowers.  The light was good and at times this bird was in the open at relatively close range, albeit invariably only briefly.  It rarely remained in one place for long and it was often obscured in part or in full by the leaves, which made it difficult to study carefully or photograph well; however, over time, and at times using my scope, I was able to get good views of the entire bird.
This was a small passerine that despite its different shape appeared to be similar in size to one or two Orange-crowned Warblers that were in the same tree, and with which the Tennessee Warbler interacted on several occasions.  The bill was short, in that it would have extended backward on the face to a point between the rear part of the eye and the middle of the auriculars, and it was quite slim as it tapered to a finely pointed tip along a straight culmen.  The forehead was gently sloping, and the crown was weakly rounded, both on a head that was unremarkable in size for a warbler.  The neck was short and inconspicuous, and the body was plump and seemingly full-chested, but it was difficult to assess the bird’s posture given that multitude of positions in which it was seen.  The wings were conspicuously long, in that they may have reached halfway out the tail, and they had a primary projection that equaled the entire length of the exposed secondaries, and in which I saw the tips of at least six or seven primaries visible beyond the longest secondaries in a narrowly tapered wingtip.  The tail appeared rather short, and probably about as long as the body without the head and neck, but the long wings and undertail coverts covered much of the tail confounding my ability to assess its length.  I thought the tail was relatively slim and parallel-sided, but I am more confident that it was weakly notched at the tip.  The long, tapered undertail-coverts extended a short way beyond the wingtips, and probably two-thirds of the way out the tail.  The legs were quite slim but of unremarkable length for a small warbler.
Although this bird’s plumage patterns and coloration were superficially similar to those of the Orange-crowned Warblers, there were both subtle and not so subtle differences.  The forehead and crown were olive in color and unmarked.  Demarcating the darker cap were yellow supercilia that extended through the supraloral region, over the eye, and back along the upper edge of the auriculars before fading out at the back.  I thought the supercilia were more conspicuous than those of an Orange-crowned Warbler, yet they were neither striking nor all that sharply demarcated.  Further apparent was a dusky eyeline that connected the bill with the leading edge of the eye, but I also noted both a more subtle wedge of this same color just behind the eye, and that both before and behind the eye, the dark line was narrower than the eye was deep, so the eye touched the supercilium above and the lower part of the face below.  The auriculars were greenish to olive in color and unmarked, apart from the fact that the upper edge was darker and forming a subtly defined frame to the upper edge of the auriculars that more strongly demarcated the supercilium than the lower part of the auriculars.  The darker and more olive color of the auriculars blended into the bronzy-yellow color that characterized the throat, breast, and sides, and which appeared to blend up into the lower part of the face maybe as far as the eye and eyeline.  I also thought there was some suggestion of the yellowish color of the corners of the throat extending onto the sides of the neck behind the auriculars as a subtle suggestion of a collar.  The yellow of the breast and sides merged relatively abruptly with the whitish color that extended down the center of the belly from its junction with the breast to the vent region, but the flanks were washed with olive, and this same olive, ore maybe yellowish-olive pinched in around the vent region to largely demarcate the whitish belly from the long, white undertail-coverts.  The underside of the tail was dark grayish and seemingly unmarked, and as such, it contrasted conspicuously with the undertail coverts.
Returning to the upperparts, the back and scapulars were a bright green in color, though seemingly intermediate between grass-green and olive-green., and unmarked.  I am not sure if I ever clearly saw the rump or uppertail coverts, which were at least mostly obscured by the long wings, but my photos show the rump to be a bright, greenish-yellow in color.  The upperside of the tail appeared to be dusky brown, but with narrow edge of bright green that appeared either as fine striping or frosting along the outer edges of the tail.  The wings contrasted as generally darker, bit also more boldly marked, than the upperparts.  I am not sure I ever saw the lesser coverts, but the median coverts, which were also mostly obscured by the scapulars, appeared to have yellowish tips that appeared to form a subtle wingbar just below the scapulars.  The greater coverts likewise had yellow tips that produced a more conspicuous wingbar, but the contrast between the dusky centers of these feathers and bright greenish edges that were narrow, yet well-defined, and similar in color to the back, gave the lower wingbar a rather diffuse appearance along its upper edge.  Further apparent at times were that the marginal wing-coverts were yellowish and that the alula and associated feathers, and possibly also the primary coverts, contrasted as a dark wedge or stripe along the leading edge of the closed wing.  Unlike the coverts, the remiges had distinctly dusky centers that contrasted with narrow yet well-defined fringes that produced a finely striped pattern on the rear part of the wing.  I also noted that the light grayish edges on the primaries contrasted somewhat with more greenish edges on the secondaries to produce striping of different colors on the wing.  My recollection of the striping on the innermost secondaries is quite a bit weaker, but I think they were greenish like those on the other secondaries, but also a bit wider and maybe not as sharply demarcated.  The exposed primary tips each had narrow fringes of whitish that would have facilitated my counting the primaries had the bird remained motionless long enough for me to do so.
I thought the bill was at least mostly dark, but the lower mandible seemed to be paler.  The eyes were dark, but I cannot now recall their precise color.  The legs and feet always appeared to be blackish, if not truly black, and lacking any obvious contrast between the legs and feet."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Glaucous Gull (2 reports)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (3 reports)
- Dusky Flycatcher (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- Tennessee Warbler (1 report)
- MacGillivray's Warbler (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 10:45 by Libby Patten
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Male. Rufous head with buff crown. Gray back and white belly. Feeding on southern shore of western channel, commingling with American Wigeon and Gadwall. Distant terrible photo."

Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) (1)
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 15:00 by Liam Hampl
- Rancho Guadalupe Dunes Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.963438,-120.6504714&ll=34.963438,-120.6504714
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird found by Herb Elliot at Oso Flaco earlier. Photos coming."

Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) (1)
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 15:00 by Kilian Hampl
- Rancho Guadalupe Dunes Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.963438,-120.6504714&ll=34.963438,-120.6504714
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird found by Herb Elliot at Oso Flaco earlier. Photos coming."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 09:10 by Glenn Kincaid
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "This bird was discovered Jan 3 during the Santa Barbara Christmas Bird Count. After several birders got good photos yesterday, ID consensus emerged that this is a Hammond's Flycatcher. During this observation the bird was mostly foraging mid-story, but did visit the ground and move up into the canopy on occasion. The bird did flick its tail a bit, with similar speed rising and falling. Overall it was quite active so most views were brief and rather unsatisfactory. Features noted: Back overall rather drab gray color. Asymmetric white eye ring, though not as pronounced as on a Pacific Slope Flycatcher. Relatively small bill, dark upper-side. Long primary projection. No vocalizations were heard."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 08:58 by David Blue
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing at Arroyo Burro Creek near Portofino Way, just upstream (north) on the trail from a concrete structure in the creek. Originally found on January 2, 2021, by Gage Ricard. A small empid with a long primary projection (as compared to the shorter projection on the Dusky Flycatcher observed yesterday). The tail was short, slightly notched, and edged with gray. The head showed only a hint of a slight crest. The bill seemed tiny, dark on top, but the lower mandible was lighter at the base with a darker tip. There was a white eyering with a slight teardrop shape to the rear and white lores in the front. The underparts were dusky with the throat slightly lighter. The upperparts were olive gray, with darker wings showing two white wingbars."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 04, 2021 11:20 by Wim van Dam
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4273242,-119.7501765&ll=34.4273242,-119.7501765
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Much discussed bird. In the end the consensus is that due to its long primaries this is a Hammond's Flycatcher, and not a Dusky Flycatcher. While I observed the bird it remained quiet. As far as I know, no one has definitely heard this bird call."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 08:05 by Thomas Turner
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing gray empid with short primary projection."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 12:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama--Foothill Rd, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8986359,-119.653557&ll=34.8986359,-119.653557
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing at Solar installation"

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 07:33 by John Callender
- 374 Arroyo Rd, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.43500, -119.77997, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.434996,-119.779966&ll=34.434996,-119.779966
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird in the southern of the two large bottlebrush trees at this location. Giving characteristic short, emphatic chip notes, with an Orange-crowned Warbler in the tree chipping at the same time to give a helpful comparison. Sharp beak, short tail, faint dark eye line with light eyebrow, relatively light lower belly and vent region."

MacGillivray's Warbler (Geothlypis tolmiei) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 10:15 by David Nimmons
- 7414 Hollister Ave, Goleta US-CA 34.42986, -119.89041, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.429856,-119.890406&ll=34.429856,-119.890406
- Comments: "Coninuin male In NW corner of the eucalyptus grove in the fallen limbs covered in leaves and ivy type vines."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2 reports)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- Swamp Sparrow (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 05, 2021 11:06 by Sangeet Khalsa
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing bird foraging amongst AMWI. Mostly gray body, rufous head with buffy-tan forehead stripe. Photos."

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 07:34 by Peter Schneekloth
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Photos. Strong face pattern, no red on nape, lots of white markings on back highly disorganized."

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 07:34 by Guy Tingos
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Photos. Strong face pattern, no red on nape, lots of white markings on back highly disorganized. Bird still appears to be in post-juvenile molt, later than expected for Red-naped Sapsucker."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 08:51 by David Nimmons
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Parked at the bridge at calle de los amigos. Walked about 50 yds north on trail just past the concrete berm in the creek. Bird was found just north of the berm. Bird was on the east side of the creek and west side of the trail. Got several good looks. Noticed lifting of the tail and flicking of the wings"

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 09:51 by Mark Holmgren
- Casey Avenue, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.642714,-120.058185&ll=34.642714,-120.058185
- Comments: "At about 34.64318 -120.05463. In north-south agricultural row of tall weedy vegetation. With many Lesser Goldfinches, fewer Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Savannah Sparrows, one Orange-crowned Warbler. I saw only the anterior half of the bird. Small (even for a Spizella) plain sparrow lacking any buffy tones to chest or head. Crown streaked brown. Complete white eyering. Faint brown moustache mark. Breast plain, off-white."

Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 12:23 by John Callender
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "Continuing bird at the extreme southwest corner of the refuge lagoon near (34.4180923, -119.6637582). Seen well but briefly at close range before it slipped away into the underbrush. Medium-sized sparrow with rufous wings and gray, mostly unstreaked underparts."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 16:39 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Continuing at the north end of the wastewater treatment plant. Heard but not seen making distinctive loud “pink” calls from the eastern bank."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)
- Tennessee Warbler (2 reports)

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 06, 2021 07:56 by Lisa Stratton
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 07, 2021 07:51 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing along the creek next to the wastewater treatment plant. Heard calling and then seen."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Jan 07, 2021 07:23 by Glenn Kincaid
- 314 Arroyo Rd, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.43570, -119.77994, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.435701,-119.779939&ll=34.435701,-119.779939
- Comments: "Continuing at this location, in the same bottlebrush tree. Initially located by its healthy chip note, which was noticeably different than nearby Yellow-rumped Warblers. Seen briefly as it actively foraged in upper area of the tree. Similar in appearance to an Orange-crowned Warbler, white under tail clearly seen."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Jan 07, 2021 08:36 by Linus Blomqvist
- 354 Arroyo Road, Santa Barbara, California, US (34.435, -119.78), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4353658,-119.7799946&ll=34.4353658,-119.7799946
- Comments: "Continuing in same bottlebrush tree on east side of Arroyo Rd just south of Nueces Dr. Warbler similar in size to nearby Orange-crowned Warblers but shorter tail and whiteish undertail coverts. Also heard short "tsip" call."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Dusky Flycatcher (1 report)
- Yellow-breasted Chat (1 report)
- Hooded Oriole (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (2)
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 08:32 by Tom Beland
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "2 males, black head upper neck and back, while underparts, long thin red bill"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 08:48 by Jamie Chavez
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing rarity found at this location during the CBC. The flycatcher eventually showed after I walked all around the area for a time and happened to stop where the large Toyon shrub was located. Eventually, the bird flew out of the shrub to chase flying insects and perched in the open on the cut stump that sits between the Toyon and the street. I was standing above at the edge of the street when I saw it. The flycatcher was olive-colored and gray-faced and also showed a pale area on the lores. It had a slight yellowish-green wash to the underparts. The wings were a darker olive-brown with prominent white wing bars and pale edges on the secondaries and on the edges of the tertials. The head appeared rounded and not particularly peaked. I noted the short primaries and long-tailed appearance when it sat in profile on the top of the stump. The bill was thin and relatively short, with a dark upper mandible and orangy lower mandible. It quickly flew back into the Toyon and did not come back out for the several minutes I remained. I did not hear it calling before or after I saw the bird. Photographed"

Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) (1)
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 15:30 by Joan Lentz
- 433 Pimiento Ln 34.43397 -119.63497, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.433973,-119.634974&ll=34.433973,-119.634974
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "A large warbler with a bright yellow chest, white underparts, gray back, see photo. Trying to figure out if same bird as seen here Oct. 10. If so, a fall migrant that stayed. OR an entirely new bird?"

Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus) (1)
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 11:44 by Alex Loos
- Hope Ranch Annex (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4370752,-119.7596846&ll=34.4370752,-119.7596846
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Young male called and briefly landed on fig tree in yard. Confirmed by Mark Holmgren and Florence Sanchez."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 13:08 by Alex Loos
- Hope Ranch Annex (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4370752,-119.7596846&ll=34.4370752,-119.7596846
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Male briefly stopped by one of the hummingbird feeders in yard. Confirmed by Mark Holmgren and Florence Sanchez. Could be the same bird seen nearby by Hugh Ranson on January 5th."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (5 reports)
- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Northern Bobwhite (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (3 reports)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Scott's Oriole (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 11:58 by Linus Blomqvist
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing male by Venoco Bridge. Red/brown head with rich creamy forehead and gray sides."

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 11:57 by Jessica Lovering
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing. IDd by Linus Blomqvist."

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 07:36 by Carina Motta
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing red-headed male bird with buffy forehead
In Salicornia on edge of water just N of Veneco Bridge, on W side of channel"

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 07:36 by Conor McMahon
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing red-headed male bird with buffy forehead
In Salicornia on edge of water just N of Veneco Bridge, on W side of channel"

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 07:36 by An Bui
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing red-headed male bird with buffy forehead
In Salicornia on edge of water just N of Veneco Bridge, on W side of channel"

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 08, 2021 08:32 by Laurel S Luby
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "2 males, black head upper neck and back, while underparts, long thin red bill"

Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 14:40 by Andrew Masaitis
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Found on the ground. Female, patterned brown and white body, crested head, obvious buff eyebrow stripe and throat, quail shaped body."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 09:47 by margeNdon thornton
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Seen on fence line west of Phelps Bridge. Bright yellow underside with yellow up to the white throat"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 08:02 by Pete Wolf
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 08:00 by Andrew Masaitis
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Found on the fence line, bright yellow belly, gray head and gray-greenish back. Larger bill than Cassin’s."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 14:40 by Andrew Masaitis
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Female, yellow-orange head, gray back, light colored breast. Found up in a tree."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (1)
- Reported Jan 09, 2021 08:25 by Barry Rowan
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Black and bright yellow oriole. Yellow on belly and rump with black breast and back."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (2 reports)
- Greater Scaup (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (3 reports)
- Dusky Flycatcher (5 reports)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 16:29 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Seen from midpoint along Slough Road (between bridge to nowhere and turnoff to Devereux school). With American Wigeons. Rufous head with cream coloration in the middle of the top of head (did not look as solid of a stripe as when seen at NCOS so has me wondering if possibly a different individual). More of a mottling rather than a streak. Grey body with white wing patch."

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 07:45 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photographed north of the Venoco Bridge. If this is the same bird I've seen and photographed here since December 29, then it is loosing its cream-colored forehead. This appears to be eclipse plumage."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 08:20 by Glenn Kincaid
- UC Santa Barbara--Campus Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4076516,-119.845165&ll=34.4076516,-119.845165
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Female. Watched foraging for several minutes. Steep forehead, peak of head more forward than lesser, wide nail at tip of bill."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 13:12 by Santiago Lupi
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Comments: "Continuing. First seen in a leafless bush at (34.4279554, -119.7505384) and then moved across the trail to some willows. Small gray flycatcher with a yellowish cast. I did not get very good views but some things I noticed where long primary projection, light wing bars, and a notched tail. It frequently lifted its tail up and down."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 10:55 by Conor McMahon
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Comments: "Continuing well-documented empid, calling species based on apparent consensus of those with better documentation. In mid-story of small oaks, sycamore, and willow in and just W of the stream channel at 34.42830, -119.75118, a few meters north of the concrete structure in the creek. Digiscoped photo. Silent while I was here."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 08:52 by John Callender
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Seen in the foliage near the concrete creek structure. Relatively small dark beak; relatively long primary extension. I did not hear the bird vocalize. Occasional tail flicks."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 12:42 by Mark Holmgren
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Greenish yellow underparts. Long, square tail. Short projection of primaries beyond tertials. Head round. Bill long and narrow. Did not see under side of tail or the mandible. Foraging near the lone Willow at the footbridge in the park. Often plucked insect prey from the lawn."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 12:42 by Lori Gaskin
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Greenish yellow underparts, long square, tail, short projection of primaries beyond tertials. Head round. Bill long and narrow. Did not see under side of tail."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 10:30 by David Compton
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Comments: "Documentation to come"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 09:16 by Andrew McGrath
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Comments: "Continuing. Seen on southern end of park. Empid with gray head and slightly green yellow belly"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 08:57 by Conor McMahon
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Comments: "Continuing well-documented empid. Seen in reeds and in bare willow in middle of creek at 34.43777, -119.88367. Digiscoped photos."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 11:20 by Libby Patten
- UC Santa Barbara--Campus Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4076516,-119.845165&ll=34.4076516,-119.845165
- Comments: "Interacting with CaKi. High pitched twittering call. Near Marine Science Center in eucalyptus."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 09:21 by David Compton
- Tierra de Fortuna Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.412785,-119.869052&ll=34.412785,-119.869052
- Comments: "Continuing and returning male"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Tufted Duck (1 report)
- Costa's Hummingbird (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)
- Dusky Flycatcher (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Savannah Sparrow (Large-billed) (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 10:55 by Joan Kent
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Confining Bird with dark rufous head and lots of gray on back and some Buffy on forehead."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 16:10 by Susanne Meyer
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "In the far West side of the lake. A birder has seen it there earlier today, as mentioned to me by Adrian O'Loglen. Poor distant photos against the evening sun."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 08:04 by John Callender
- Mesa Lane backyard, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.408699,-119.526193&ll=34.408699,-119.526193
- Comments: "Continuing female. Small hummingbird with a short tail, plain white throat, and gray auriculars outlined with white."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 08:00 by Joan Kent
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Small empid with light yellow blush to buffy belly, wing bars, and notched tail. No vocalizations. Located north of Calle de le los Amigos bridge about 20 yards north of the concrete structure in creek. Bird located at 9:15 in willows off minor path that extends into willows towards the creek."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 13:21 by Zachary Reitz
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Comments: "As reported by others. Gray olive bird matching photos taken previously. Seen in large toyon on eastern side. Frequent "whit" calls and flicking of tail."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 09:47 by Mark Holmgren
- Jack O'Connell Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9586988,-120.5904007&ll=34.9586988,-120.5904007
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Male"

Savannah Sparrow (Large-billed) (Passerculus sandwichensis rostratus/atratus) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 09:45 by Lisa Walker-Roseman
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 2 Photos

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 08:05 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature (or maybe female?) bird in the large sycamore tree next to the creek channel just south of El Carro Lane. Grayish back, gray below with yellowish throat and undertail coverts, and what I think might be an indistinct dark eye line."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 08:05 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Adult male bird in the large sycamore tree next to the creek channel just south of El Carro Lane. Rich orange color, extensive black hood."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Tufted Duck (1 report)
- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- Dark-eyed Junco (Gray-headed) (1 report)
- Orchard Oriole (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (2 reports)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 10:25 by Glenn Kincaid
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing Male"

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 11:19 by Libby Patten
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing male. Hanging out with several Scaup. Head and back are black. Sides are bright white. Head tuft/long crest. Yellow eyes. Lake is in a private neighborhood. Currently access to this area is still allowed, but you need to park on Ward Dr. and walk in. This duck was seen in far western end of lake. If you approach too closely, he tends to move away."

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 09:46 by John Deacon
- North Blosser Rd. Flood Control Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.980019,-120.4508454&ll=34.980019,-120.4508454
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Male. Sharp and thin beak. Clean and white chest. Green head. Slightly larger than nearby CANV."

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 10:33 by Peter Schneekloth
- Nojoqui Falls Park, Goleta US-CA 34.53402, -120.17891, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.534018,-120.178909&ll=34.534018,-120.178909
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Flicker with brown face and red nape, photos."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (2)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 11:15 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama--Foothill Rd, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8986359,-119.653557&ll=34.8986359,-119.653557
- Comments: "Continuing"

Dark-eyed Junco (Gray-headed) (Junco hyemalis caniceps) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 10:33 by Peter Schneekloth
- Nojoqui Falls Park, Goleta US-CA 34.53402, -120.17891, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.534018,-120.178909&ll=34.534018,-120.178909
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Junco, pale gray head and underparts, no hood, dark lores, red back, photo's."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 08:19 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. Found by Florence Sanchez in the canopy of a large flowering eucalyptus opposite the cape honeysuckle hedge south of the Santa Monica Creek footbridge."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 14:14 by Zachary Reitz
- Stow Grove Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4483611,-119.846034&ll=34.4483611,-119.846034
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Adult male seen in large coral tree near south end of park by house #449. Bright orange oriole with black throat, crown, eyeline, and tail tip. Significant white on wing. Silent. Photo to follow, taken by phone before it disappeared into an orange tree."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 09:10 by Kris Ohlenkamp
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Black back and hood and bright orange under body. White on the edge of the greater coverts, the median (?) coverts, and on the secondaries (?)....see photos."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 08:19 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. In the canopy of a large flowering eucalyptus tree opposite the cape honeysuckle hedge south of the Santa Monica Creek footbridge."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Jan 11, 2021 11:12 by Mario Borunda
- Refugio State Beach, Goleta US-CA 34.46410, -120.06980, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4641,-120.0698&ll=34.4641,-120.0698
- Comments: "Heavy streaked underparts with a sulphur yellow wash, obvious white eyebrow, brownish upperparts.  In the creek between the 101 and its north bound entrance.  I believe it is a continuing bird."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (2 reports)
- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Short-eared Owl (1 report)
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Sage Thrasher (1 report)
- Cassin's Finch (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 15:30 by Andrew Masaitis
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing male, located near the bridge to Devereux Slough with American Wigeons and Redheads. Rufous head with Buffy patch, appears to be eclipse plumage. Pictures follow."

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Jan 10, 2021 09:47 by Betsy Mooney
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Brownish head with cream-colored stripe seen north of Veneco Bridge."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 10:13 by Linus Blomqvist
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Continuing male. All white sides; tuft."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 12, 2021 09:17 by David Blue
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. Head was tucked, and tuft wasn’t visible. An all black duck with bright white flanks and a rounded head. Separated from scaup by its black back. Separated from Ring-necked Duck by its lack of a tall head with sharp peak on rear crown and no white bar on its side. Poor photo attached."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 16:18 by John Callender
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Flying low over the western half of the mesa grasslands."

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 07:00 by Peter Schneekloth
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Sapsucker still in post juv. Molt ruling out other confusing sapsuckers, continuing, photos"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 09:09 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Seen 400 yards west of the Phelps Creek Bridge on the fence north of the west most pond. Likely the same bird first reported last fall by Libby Patten on September 20, 2020. Distinguished from a Cassin’s Kingbird by its lighter gray head, longer and heavier black bill, and brighter yellow belly which came higher on the breast (where it seemed slightly smudged with green). This bird had a notched tail that lacked the white tip of a Cassin’s Kingbird. Also distinguished by its rapid, twittering “pip-pip-pip-pip” call."

Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus) (2)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 09:15 by Anonymous eBirder
- Wasioja Ranch (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9521171,-119.8188066&ll=34.9521171,-119.8188066
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Easily viewed from Wasioja Rd, near horse corral. Presumably very early migrants."

Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) (1)
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 07:00 by Peter Schneekloth
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Large triangular bill, straight culmen, red crown, eye arcs long wing extension. Photos"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) (2 reports)
- Tufted Duck (4 reports)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (1 report)

Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) (Mareca strepera x Anas platyrhynchos) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:20 by Liam Hampl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "resident?"

Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) (Mareca strepera x Anas platyrhynchos) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:20 by Kilian Hampl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Resident? I've seen this bird here before."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:35 by Benny Jacobs-Schwartz
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Continuing male. Photos."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 08:17 by John Callender
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. In the far southwest corner of the pond."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 14:45 by margeNdon thornton
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Much better views this trip, tuft ver obvious."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 13, 2021 08:56 by margeNdon thornton
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Seen in far SW area of the pond, very white sides, black otherwise, suggestion of tuft at back of head"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 08:45 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Comments: "Male. Continuing in his favorite spot by #4 green."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 08:17 by John Callender
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Flycatching from a tree on the edge of the northeast corner of the pond. Greenish back, large beak, indistinct dark mask. I didn’t see the yellow breast, but I did hear it make its twittering vocalization."

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis/cismontanus) (1)
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:20 by Kilian Hampl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "In with junco flock at about 34°54'17.3"N 120°26'40.3"W. Photos"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (1 report)
- Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (1 report)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:35 by Marysia Borucinska-Begg
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Continuing male. Photos."

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis/cismontanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 14, 2021 11:20 by Liam Hampl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "In with junco flock at about 34°54'17.3"N 120°26'40.3"W. Photos"

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Short-billed Dowitcher (1 report)
- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)
- Dusky Flycatcher (3 reports)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (4 reports)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 08:01 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male with a dark rufous head and a small trace of a buffy forehead."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 09:20 by Susanne Meyer
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Photos."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 15, 2021 17:20 by Andrew Masaitis
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing male. Located in southwest pond area. Black overall, white flanks, tufted crest. Pictures follow."

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 09:08 by Andrew Masaitis
- Cachuma Lake Recreation Area, Santa Barbara US-CA (34.5746,-119.9284), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.574555,-119.928379&ll=34.574555,-119.928379
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted out on the lake near the shore. Sleek body, red bill, very dark green head, black and white body. Pictures follow."

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (1)
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 06:30 by Dan Fontaine
- Ellwood Mesa Open Space, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4216023,-119.8887134&ll=34.4216023,-119.8887134
- Comments: "Flying low over the mesa before sunrise. Bold, thick white wing bar was the only white on the wings."

Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus) (1)
- Reported Jan 15, 2021 16:16 by Andrew Masaitis
- Atascadero Creek Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.422712,-119.823793&ll=34.422712,-119.823793
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Feeding in the mud in shallow water. Shorter legs, evident spotting on breast. Picture follows."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 10:41 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Mesa Road Ponds, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8837715,-120.279007&ll=34.8837715,-120.279007
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Identified in the field as a LEYE. When I got home and looked at pics, it was actually a Solitary Sandpiper. Yellow legs, brownish body with light spots. Short bill. Obvious eye ring."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 08:52 by Andrew McGrath
- Arroyo Burro Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242219,-119.7503543&ll=34.4242219,-119.7503543
- Comments: "Continuing. Small gray empid with weak wing bars. Complete eye ring. Observed along trail north of Calle de Los amigos bridge at creaste Of creek bend. (34.4288061, -119.7513856)"

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 14:52 by Karen Rusch
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Watched this empid flycatch at the northeast side of the park. It went between a pepper tree and two pines across Mirano (next to the large grassy field) and then flew south to the trees just across the street. Yellowish belly, white eye ring, and gray head. Long tail that he flicked and wings had white bars."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 14:52 by Steve Rusch
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Watched this empid flycatch at the northeast side of the park. It went between a pepper tree and two pines across Mirano (next to the large grassy field) and then flew south to the trees just across the street. Yellowish belly, white eye ring, and gray head. Long tail that he flicked and wings had white bars."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 12:38 by Jeff Young
- Bella Vista Open Space Park, Goleta US-CA 34.43787, -119.88373, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.437867,-119.883728&ll=34.437867,-119.883728
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Empid In large Brazilian pepper tree south of pedestrian bridge in NE corner of park, will upload photos, ID based on recent sightings in same tree but did not hear it vocalize"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 16:17 by John Callender
- Jack O'Connell Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9586988,-120.5904007&ll=34.9586988,-120.5904007
- Comments: "Continuing subadult male. Photos."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 09:21 by Lori Gaskin
- Jack O'Connell Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9586988,-120.5904007&ll=34.9586988,-120.5904007
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "At the parking lot. Male"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 09:21 by Mark Holmgren
- Jack O'Connell Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9586988,-120.5904007&ll=34.9586988,-120.5904007
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "At the parking lot. Male"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 15:41 by John Callender
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Comments: "Continuing in the willow tree near (34.9091532, -120.4410570). Photos."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 11:38 by John Callender
- New Cuyama--Foothill Rd, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8986359,-119.653557&ll=34.8986359,-119.653557
- Comments: "Tail-less bird along the fence next to the solar plant. Photos."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Short-eared Owl (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- American Redstart (1 report)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 14:15 by Jeff Young
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Pictures"

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 10:24 by Betsy Mooney
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Black duck with bright white sides; rounded head, tuft visible; beak tucked in. Continuing in SW corner of lake, near Ruddy Ducks."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 17:09 by Linus Blomqvist
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Comments: "Continuing. First seen at 5.20"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 08:51 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Comments: "Ongoing male. In willow by #4 green."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 10:41 by Jay Bishop
- Andrée Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.42196, -119.65939, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.421958,-119.65939&ll=34.421958,-119.65939
- Comments: "Heavier bill than western and Cassin’s. Yellowish green goes all the way from the belly up to the throat. No white on the tail which is notched. Known bird."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Jan 16, 2021 08:45 by Linus Blomqvist
- New Cuyama--Foothill Rd, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8986359,-119.653557&ll=34.8986359,-119.653557
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing by solar farm. Photos."

American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 09:03 by David Compton
- Atascadero Creek at Patterson Ave., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4246166,-119.811059&ll=34.4246166,-119.811059
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. 100 ft west of line of willows meeting creek from north. On south side of creek."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Common Ground Dove (2 reports)
- Short-eared Owl (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Scott's Oriole (2 reports)
- American Redstart (1 report)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 09:05 by Deann Purcell
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Brilliant white sides, black body, yellow eye, rounded black head (purple sheen in sun), obvious black tuft. Hanging out with ruddy ducks in western portion of the lake."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 11:05 by David Compton
- Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park (limited access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4242396,-119.8238146&ll=34.4242396,-119.8238146
- Comments: "Continuing adult male with bright white sides contrasting sharply with black back, dark head with purple sheen and long tuft drooping behind head, white eyes, and mostly pale blue bill."

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (3)
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 12:38 by Mark Holmgren
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Flyover less than a quarter mile north of the ag pond near cactus and avocados. Small dove with rounded wings, primaries appeared darker than back, short tail. Flew into avocado orchard. A second individual called twice from an Avo orchard 1/4 mile N of the first bird. A third bird was 200 m south of the gate at the north end of Farren Road. It flew from the Avo orchard into the Euc grove."

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (3)
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 12:38 by Lori Gaskin
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Flyover less than a quarter mile north of the ag pond near cactus and avocados. Small dove with rounded wings, primaries appeared darker than back, short tail. Flew into avocado orchard. A second individual called twice from an Avo orchard 1/4 mile N of the first bird. A third bird was 200 m south of the gate at the north end of Farren Road. It flew from the Avo orchard into the Euc grove."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 17, 2021 16:10 by margeNdon thornton
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "about 10 minutes after sunset, flying over western portion of mesa, owl dark above light under, dark breast and head, distinctive wing patterns"

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 10:06 by Libby Patten
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Female. Grey wings with white wing bars. Yellow head, breast and tail. White belly and faint dark line through eye. Foraging in seed pods hanging from tree just northeast of Stow House."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 08:05 by Bradley Hacker
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "2, maybe 3, birds seen and heard with John Callendar."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 07:02 by John Callender
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Two adult males seen well at the same time, and what sounded like a possible third bird vocalizing at the same time from nearby, but not seen. Lots of “chuck” calls; one brief song. In the euc grove and along both sides of the road near the gate at the north end of the public road, around (34.4677100, -119.9216774)."

American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 09:15 by John Callender
- Atascadero Creek Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.422712,-119.823793&ll=34.422712,-119.823793
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male. In the midstory of a large tree on the south bank of the creek near (34.4235651, -119.8186517). Detected first by its characteristic chip notes, then eventually seen actively foraging in the foliage."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 18, 2021 08:18 by Linus Blomqvist
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Feeding actively up in the trees just west of Stow House. Large tanager, mostly drab yellowish-olive complexion, female. No wing bars. Large, pinkish bill. Presumably this is the continuing individual seen earlier this winter and in past winters."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Common Ground Dove (2 reports)
- Short-eared Owl (1 report)
- Red Crossbill (1 report)
- Baltimore Oriole (1 report)
- Scott's Oriole (1 report)
- MacGillivray's Warbler (1 report)

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (2)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 07:44 by Linus Blomqvist
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Seen in the avocado orchard just east of the road and 20 yards below the gate. Tiny doves. Light brown overall with almost pinkish hue. Mottled around neck. Saw deep rufous on inner primaries in flight. Some black markings on the wings when perched."

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 07:39 by David Blue
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Linus Blomqvist spotted two birds flying into the avocado grove (just to the right of the double gate in chain link fence near the security gate at the end of the road), but I only got a brief look at one walking on the ground. A small dove with a short tail, dark marks on the coverts, and a scaly pattern on the head and breast."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 16:55 by Aaron Kreisberg
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Comments: "Initially seen flying north around 5:30, then was observed landed on a coyote bush and flying over the Mesa at dusk. Light was not great. Initial observation was a medium size bird of prey flying low with a whitish underside. Lost it for a few minutes, then saw it flying low over the middle of the Mesa and then perched. Back was brownish and also showed barring on underside of wings and black wing patches. When perched it showed a face indicative of Short-eared owl although looks were far and light was fading. Last observed around 5:40."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (9)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 08:15 by John Callender
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 6 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Moving around the tops of conifers near (34.4278260, -119.6024818), about 75 yards southwest of the intersection of Ortega Ranch Road and Ortega Ridge Road, along the east side of Ortega Ridge Road."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 16:40 by Eric Culbertson
- Santa Ynez Ave and La Tierra Ln, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4086579,-119.5250139&ll=34.4086579,-119.5250139
- Comments: "Bright orange oriole with complete black hood, dark back and wings. Upptail dark. Found while searching for a perched Osprey with a scope in a giant, white-blooming eucalyptus at Eucalyptus Park. Perched for 15 mins in same part of tree before dropping down to roost in adjacent eucalyptus at 5:10pm. Strongly suspect this is the bird John Callender found recently at nearby Santa Monica Creek."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (2)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 07:44 by Linus Blomqvist
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Seen in eucalyptus grove by the gate. Heard a raspy chuck type call from their general direction before seeing them. About the size of a Robin but much slimmer, long tail, long sharply pointed bill; this makes them orioles. What I saw of the plumage was a fairly drab olive-yellow overall, almost more on the olive side of the spectrum, which might make them first-years. Two very distinct wingbars. Didn't have the clean gray belly and yellow breast of a female type Bullocks, and as I understand it, a Hooded would not have such marked wingbars. Neither does any plumage of Baltimore Oriole match the mostly plain, drab, olive-yellow plumage of these two birds."

MacGillivray's Warbler (Geothlypis tolmiei) (1)
- Reported Jan 19, 2021 10:02 by David Blue
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (LogMeIn Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "A continuing male foraging in the ivy on the east side of the slope that runs down from the parking lot to the northern edge of the large eucalyptus grove. A yellow-green warbler with a blue-gray hood (that was blacker on the breast), bold white eye-arcs and black lores. This is likely the same bird first found at this location in early October."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Broad-billed Hummingbird (1 report)
- Short-eared Owl (2 reports)
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (2 reports)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Scott's Oriole (4 reports)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 10:55 by Mark Holmgren
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing local specialty. Seen this winter either here, Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park, or at Lauro Reservoir."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 10:55 by Lori Gaskin
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing local specialty. Seen this winter either here, Rancho Goleta Mobile Home Park, or at Lauro Reservoir."

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 17:12 by Conner Castro
- 1245 Grand Meadow Way, Orcutt, California, US (34.853, -120.413), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.8531794,-120.4134808&ll=34.8531794,-120.4134808
- Comments: "Feeding at feeder"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 16:41 by Andrea Bruce
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Comments: "Seen several times over a period of 25-30 minutes beginning ~5:28 pm. Flying low over grass- saw once along side Northern Harrier. Medium sized, buffy-mottled upper parts. Pale streaked under parts. At one point flew directly at us- saw flat, plate-like round head, whitish face and dark around eyes. Could not detect ear tuffs. No sound. 5:55 pm last look."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 16:41 by Mario Borunda
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Comments: "Seen several times over a period of 25-30 minutes beginning ~5:28 pm. Flying low over grass- saw once along side Northern Harrier. Medium sized, buffy-mottled upper parts. Pale streaked under parts. At one point flew directly at us- saw flat, plate-like round head, whitish face and dark around eyes. Could not detect ear tuffs. No sound. 5:55 pm last look."

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:27 by Peter Schneekloth
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird, still in post juvenile molt"

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:27 by Guy Tingos
- Sedgwick Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird, still in post juvenile molt"

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 10:00 by Linus Blomqvist
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Female. Oriole with white wingband, gray belly, and yellow chest and head."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:50 by Jeff Young
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Will upload pictures, first spotted by George. Clean looks in the avocado orchard west of the road, close to the end of public access. Was hanging out in the eucalyptus that has been visibly limbed to make way for the power line."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:13 by margeNdon thornton
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "perched in a euc on the east side of the road. First seen by George"

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:12 by James Chapman
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Yellow oriole, black back and head."

Scott's Oriole (Icterus parisorum) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2021 07:12 by George Chapman
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Yellow oriole, black back and head."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Hooded Oriole (1 report)
- MacGillivray's Warbler (1 report)

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2021 10:05 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.906278,-120.442454&ll=34.906278,-120.442454
- Comments: "Brought to my attention by my wife while we were golfing. She directed me to an area where she saw a bird with a bright yellow breast. Kingbird with bright yellow breast that extended almost to his lower bill. Notched tail. Sturdy beak. Found by #13 green. There is an open field at the corner of McCoy and Skyway Drive from which this bird could be seen (assuming he stays at this location)."

Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2021 06:00 by Andrew Ford
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Goleta US-CA 34.41891, -119.85346, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.418908,-119.853461&ll=34.418908,-119.853461
- Comments: "Adult oriole in the top of a blue gum extracting nectar from flowers. Orange-yellow body, black throat, white on the wings but less than Bullock's. Noted a more curved bill in general. Noted lack of black eye 'mask' apparent in Bullock's. Rare durig\ng winter but irregular here in coastal SoCal."

MacGillivray's Warbler (Geothlypis tolmiei) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2021 10:22 by Susanne Meyer
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (LogMeIn Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing male with greenish back, blue gray head and white eye crests, distinct call. Poor photo."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (1 report)
- Lesser Yellowlegs (1 report)
- Short-eared Owl (2 reports)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Red Crossbill (1 report)
- MacGillivray's Warbler (1 report)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2021 14:00 by Bill Crowe
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Seen near Sandspit Rd. bridge. Continuing bird. Smaller than lesser scaups white with no black zig zag in white like scaup. Large tuft. Pictures to follow"

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 09:13 by Jamie Chavez
- Santa Maria WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9487269,-120.4915452&ll=34.9487269,-120.4915452
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Located a single Lesser Yellowlegs in one of the clarifying tanks with several Greater Yellowlegs. This made for a quick ID when I could compare the obvious size difference between the two species, its shorter, straight bill, and thinner legs. Photographed"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 06:15 by Lori Gaskin
- Western More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4195417,-119.8133808&ll=34.4195417,-119.8133808
- Comments: "Darker and splotchier dark than Barn Owl seen previously. Dark wing tips were the most conspicuous distinguishing mark. These were separated from dark patch on the under wing near the wrist and various dark marks on underwing. Splotchy dark face."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 06:15 by Mark Holmgren
- Western More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4195417,-119.8133808&ll=34.4195417,-119.8133808
- Comments: "Darker and splotchier dark than Barn Owl seen previously. Dark wing tips were the most conspicuous distinguishing mark. These were separated from dark patch on the under wing near the wrist and various dark marks on underwing. Splotchy dark face."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 13:25 by David Blue
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing at this location (typically in the willow tree by the #4 green as seen from the vacant lot on Lorencito Drive). A stunning adult male with brilliant red underparts and crown, and dark brown upperparts and mask. The bill and legs were black."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 08:52 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Comments: "Continuing bright red male in his favorite willow by #4 green."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (10)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 08:10 by John Callender
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing in the tops of pines at the intersection of Ortega Ridge Road and Ortega Ranch Road, near (34.4281767, -119.6012129) and west along Ortega Ridge Road from there. The birds were less vocal today than when I saw them two days ago, though still making quiet “pip pip” calls in the treetops as they foraged."

MacGillivray's Warbler (Geothlypis tolmiei) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 10:37 by Mark Holmgren
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (LogMeIn Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird since fall 2020."

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (2 reports)
- Greater Scaup (1 report)
- Black-chinned Hummingbird (1 report)
- Costa's Hummingbird (1 report)
- Short-eared Owl (1 report)
- Dusky Flycatcher (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Red Crossbill (4 reports)
- Black-and-white Warbler (1 report)
- Tennessee Warbler (2 reports)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 11:09 by Andrew McGrath
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing. Seen with lesser scaup in slough from viewing platform in eastern half of parking lot"

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 08:45 by Dennis Doordan
- Goleta Beach Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4168585,-119.8322153&ll=34.4168585,-119.8322153
- Comments: "Visible from the viewing platform in the parking lot in among a large number of Buffleheads and several scaups; tufted head clearly visible in profile."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 10:15 by Jeff Young
- Santa Maria River Estuary (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.9671044,-120.6473815&ll=34.9671044,-120.6473815
- Comments: "Pictures, large round head"

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (5)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 13:04 by Silvia Echeverria
- Carpinteria Bluffs 3, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.3833252,-119.4873422&ll=34.3833252,-119.4873422
- Comments: "On bush."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 15:54 by John Callender
- Mesa Lane backyard, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.408699,-119.526193&ll=34.408699,-119.526193
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female at my backyard feeder."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 06:15 by Lisa Stratton
- Western More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.4195417,-119.8133808&ll=34.4195417,-119.8133808
- Comments: "Darker and splotchier dark than Barn Owl seen previously. Dark wing tips were the most conspicuous distinguishing mark. These were separated from dark patch on the under wing near the wrist and various dark marks on underwing. Splotchy dark face."

Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri) (1)
- Reported Jan 22, 2021 14:10 by Andrew Masaitis
- Bella Vista OSP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.438363,-119.8836064&ll=34.438363,-119.8836064
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing Empid, flycatching around the pepper tree. Grayish head, white eye ring and wing bars, pale lores, pale underparts, medium bill, flicking it’s tail upwards."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 12:59 by Jeff Young
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Dazzling red and black male, frequenting the willow at hole #4 across from the vacant lot on Lorencita. Several times he flew down to the row of flowers on the shore or the pond nearest the lot, and at least once up to the powerline . Will upload pictures tonight"

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (11)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 12:21 by David Blue
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "First found by John Callender on January 19. Chunky large-headed birds with crossed bills and short notched tails. Flying overhead there were an estimated 11 birds in the flock. Seen foraging in the pines, there were at least two red males (with dark wings and tails) and the other birds were dull yellow. They made soft "kip-kip" calls. These birds were seen in the pines on both sides of the entrance to Ortega Ranch Road."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (12)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 11:11 by Santiago Lupi
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "Continuing. Red and yellow finches with crossed bills. First seen in a pine tree at (34.4277903, -119.6028402). They later flew across the trail to a leafless tree behind a house and then flew to another pine to the west behind another house. They made kip calls as they foraged in the pine and called louder when they flew."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (11)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 09:12 by Linus Blomqvist
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Chunky finch with short notched tail. Could see the crossed bill. Two males with mostly red plumage and red rump that stood out. Six females/immature with greenish/yellow color. Short "kip" call. Photos coming. Flight in rather tight flock with alternating rapid flapping and gliding. Circling around the area. Easiest way to find them was to listen for the calls. I counted at least 11 when the whole flock was flying, but only 8 or 9 at any one point when they were perched."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (9)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 09:07 by Libby Patten
- Ortega Ridge pines, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.428427,-119.600994&ll=34.428427,-119.600994
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Originally found by John Callender on two recent days. A tight flock of about 10 birds flew overheard and headed to area a little west of the intersection of Ortega Ridge Rd. and Ortega Ranch Rd. Were making gentle peep calls. Linus Blomqvist was nearby and noted the deep belly and short-tailed silhouettes and thought this was the flock so we followed them west. They landed in a tall dead tree south of the trail. Lighting was poor and the view a bit distant, but managed to see their crossed bills, deeply notched tails and that two appeared mostly red (male) and the others were more yellowish (female). After about 10 minutes, they flew off."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 11:22 by David Compton
- Tierra de Fortuna Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.412785,-119.869052&ll=34.412785,-119.869052
- Comments: "Female type. Black stripe through eye, but no noticeable Blackmon the face. Creeping along willow branches near wood bridge over Camino Corto Creek."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 14:12 by David Blue
- 354 Arroyo Rd, Santa Barbara US-CA (34.4353,-119.7800), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.435275,-119.779996&ll=34.435275,-119.779996
- Comments: "Continuing bird in the southernmost bottlebrush tree at 354 Arroyo Road (on the east side of Arroyo Road just south of Nueces Drive). Somewhat resembled an Orange-crowned Warbler, with a faint dark eye line and light eyebrow, but with whitish undertail coverts. Had a distinct and fairly continuous chip call."

Tennessee Warbler (Leiothlypis peregrina) (1)
- Reported Jan 23, 2021 09:07 by David Compton
- 354 Arroyo Rd, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.43532, -119.77997, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&;t=p&z=13&q=34.435322,-119.77997&ll=34.435322,-119.77997
- Comments: "Continuing. Seen in bottle brush on east side of Arroyo just south of Nueces."