Topics

El Capitán State Beach today

Rebecca Coulter

This morning’s overcast and cool-down lured me out to find some land bird migration at El Capitán State Beach. It was relatively slow except for a few expected things—Wilson’s Warblers, my fos Townsend’s Warblers, and Yellow Warbler. The nature trail was very quiet, and unfortunately everything was flushed off the beach by a loose dog, including a dozen Marbled Godwits and a group of mostly Heerman’s Gulls. But a nice surprise was a very spiffy adult male American Redstart, flashing and flaring his black and orange tail in the oaks near the entry kiosk, associating with a large flock of Bushtits. Had I been able to explore further there might have been other goodies. The campground was not too busy, and I expect the next couple of days will be even quieter so it’s worth another look.

Rebecca Coulter
SB