Elegant Tern and other LLC birds.

Noah Gaines

Last night 9.9.21, I heard an Elegant Tern fly over my house and LLC in the fog. A new one for both lists.

I have consistently had good birds in my new backyard set up with loads of Hummingbirds including a few lingering Black-chinned HBs. I also had a California Thrasher singing and foraging in the yard a week ago.

At LLC, Eared Grebes and Northern Shovelers returned on 9.4.21. I also had an out of place Chipping Sparrow in the willows on the W side of the lake on that date. Red-necked Phalaropes have been present for about a week. Sometimes they are close to the dam for good viewing. Barn Swallows continue to be the most abundant swallow and I even saw a small group fly over Oak Park the other day.

I did some investigation the other morning at LLC, trying to find a good way to access the willows. I found a nice trail that skirts the large willow patch on the S side of the park but there were no birds. Has anyone had any luck here for fall migrants in the past?

Noah Gaines
Goleta CA

Dave Compton

Thanks for posting the Elegant Tern, Noah, as those so far from the shore are pretty unusual. I had the same experience just after midnight, 28/29 August, near Foothill and Hwy 154, when one called repeatedly as it flew around on a foggy night.