Topics

[EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Probable Hairy Woodpecker at Devereux Slough

Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...>

I had a Hairy  at broken bridge today.

On Jul 25, 2019 5:24 PM, "Bill Crowe via Groups.Io" <crowe.bill@...> wrote:
Hi Santa Barbara Birders.

This is my first post to this list serve. Please forgive the late post.

 I surveyed Coal Oil Point. Last Tuesday July 23rd. I saw the juvenile yellow crowned night herons that Mark and the others posted about at Devereux Slough. I went up the pond trail and saw several raptors including two juvenile white tailed kites and a red tailed hawk. I saw what appears to be a hairy woodpecker. It was foraging in the oaks near the camera. It then moved to the snag of dead trees close to the pond itself. I attached a picture to verify it's identification. I also saw a Downy's wood pecker and two Nuttall's woodpeckers and several acorn woodpeckers in various areas of the reserve. I saw several oak titmouse in several areas of the reserve as well

I surveyed sands beach and saw the nesting snowy plovers. I saw several of the snowy plovers that were released by the Santa Barbara zoo last Thursday (July18th). I also saw 150 or so black bellied plovers roosting in the slough mouth. Several of these birds were retaining their full breeding plumage. Also there were 32 semipalmated plovers roosting in the slough mouth and 14 sanderlings foraging along the tideline. In the slough itself I saw a few least and western sandpipers and a few mallards. One had a brood of six older ducklings.

Good birding,

Bill Crowe
Woodland Hills
(424) 208-9815

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Florence Sanchez

While I have not had a Hairy at this exact location, I've definitely had them in the eucs in the butterfly preserve to the west.  I also thought I heard a Hairy's call on my trip out to the dune pond yesterday, but didn't chase it down.

Florence Sanchez

On Thursday, July 25, 2019, 6:47:44 PM PDT, Nick Lethaby via Groups.Io <nlethaby@...> wrote:

[...]

All,

i would go as far to say that Hairy is about as common as Downy in West Goleta and the Gaviota Coast these days. I am routinely recording them at multiple spots this year.

On Jul 25, 2019 5:24 PM, "Bill Crowe via Groups.Io" <crowe.bill=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106

--