Topics

[EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] migrants still hanging around!

Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...>

Joan,

I don’t think it’s all that surprising that Montecito would have more migrants in the neighborhoods than extreme W. Goleta. I  live just a mile E of Brad in the Winchester Canyon and don’t find that  canyon gets a ton of migrants, with it seemingly being really poor for warblers. Brad’s neighborhood has far fewer bottlebrush trees than Winchester Canyon, so is likely to get even less migrants.

The reason why Montecito should be better are as follows:

1.       Since the main stream of migrants is through the interior coastal ranges, the further you get out towards Pt Conception, the more out of the main stream you are and that means fewer migrants.

2.       Migrants moving along the coast (assuming they do that in spring, which they may not) that want to stop and feed are going to reach places like Montecito first. There are zillions of ornamental plantings all along the coast so the chances are they’ll find somewhere suitable to stop before they reach west Goleta.

The only way that west Goleta can be as good or better than Montecito is if migrants are cutting across the California Bight to migrant more directly along. This is what Swainson’s Thrush does in the fall, but don’t know if they do it the spring. In general, suspect that the best days at Refugio would involve birds that have got drifted offshore a bit. However this is all speculation.

Nick