From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io [mailto:main@sbcobirding.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Callender
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 11:31 AM
To: main@sbcobirding.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Any Black Swifts in Santa Barbara County recently?

I note from previous years that this would be a time when we might see migrating Black Swifts moving through on their northward migration, but I don't see any reports in eBird of the species over the past 30 days in southern California. There were, however, three different eBird reports from central California last week (one from the Bay Area, two from near Sacramento).

I'm curious if anyone has tried looking for them recently in Santa Barbara county. I plan to do some looking from the Hunt Dr. location later this week, and would be very interested in hearing from anyone who is also making an effort. Thanks!

John Callender
Carpinteria

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Dave Compton

I made a brief effort from San Marcos Pass Rd last week, but it was during strong W to WNW winds, which I think are probably not good conditions for seeing them in the Santa Ynez Mtns.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:46 AM Nick Lethaby via groups.io <nlethaby=ti.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had one look from San Marcos Pass a few days ago but the winds were not consistently strong enough. One needs persistent strong N/NW winds there. These are not in the forecast and haven’t occurred in the day time so far this May.

If you want to try I would recommend trying Ortega Ridge tomorrow during the period of the strongest winds. The winds there should be westerly and would force birds heading W lower over the ridge. Be willing to give it an hour. In my experience at SM Pass, any flock of swifts  purposely heading N or W is Blacks. If you are seeing Cliff Swallows and WT Swifts flying around feeding up in the air, then the wind is not strong enough. On days with less strong winds, you are probably better off choosing one of the high passes near the ridgeline.