Topics

Farren Road

Florence Sanchez

I walked Farren Road this morning form 7:15-9:30 a.m.  Lovely morning for a walk there.

Some birds interest include:
1 Lazuli Bunting
2 pairs of Lark Sparrows
4 Phainopeplas (2 heard, 2 seen)
At least 2 Common Ground Doves heard and seen at the ranch at the end of the road
A family of newly-fledged Common Yellowthroats
Ash-throated Flycatchers at several different locations the length of the road
A singing Western Meadowlark.

Rebecca Coulter reported a Meadowlark on Farren Road a couple of weeks ago and I suspect this may be the same bird.  It was perched and singing on the utility wire that crosses the road at the turnout overlooking the field and reservoir below; then flow down into that field where it continued to sing.  It would be great if this indicates a possible nesting attempt on the South Coast.

Also of note was a pair of Violet-green Swallows at the head of the canyon.  This is the second time I have seen a pair there and wonder if there is a chance this species might nest there?  It would be hard to determine since it's all private property.

During the time I was there I did not see or hear either a Blue Grosbeak or a Grasshopper Sparrow.

At Stow Grove Park, I heard a Western Tanager singing.

Florence Sanchez