Ferruginous Hawk

Hugh Ranson

An early Ferruginous Hawk was over Rancho Sisquoc Winery this afternoon, sparring with a Peregrine.

On Thursday I was watching the Canada Warbler high in a Tipu at LogMeIn when it knocked a large spider out of the tree. The bird flew down to the ground and took a while to kill and eat the spider. I took a long series of photos, and have included a selection at the link below (they are not in order--I can't figure out how to move photos in Flickr). Also here is a photo of the Ferruginous Hawk and this morning's Sage Thrasher.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara