From: Patrick McNulty <mcnulty@...>
To: Joan Lentz <jelentz@...>; Dave Compton <DCompton@...>;
Karen Bridgers <kbridgers@...>; Mark Holmgren
<holmgren@...>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 1999 11:45 PM
Subject: Stilt Sandpiper at Goleta Sewage?

Well,

I finally got logged into the SBCOBirds list and my first message
read was Mark's today about the Goleta Sewage Ponds at lunchtime
today. I was so excited about the Solitary Sandpiper that I went
right over. Got there at 5:15 and nicely asked some folks
waiting for a board meeting if I could go in ( after telling them
how great they'd been about the CUSA and explaining where it's
usual range is, etc.) They said fine, go on back.

I couldn't find a solitary sandpiper, but did find different one,
dark and white, 50% bigger than the Westerns, 30% smaller than
the Dowitchers. I tried to describe it quite a while into my
tape recorder, and now that I'm home with my books I think it
was a Stilt Sandpiper. I will get back tomorrow at 8am (if
they're open?) or noon, but I would of course be grateful if
someone would go over and pass judgement on my id.

I was looking at it through my scope at 35 feet or so, on the
flats on the near side of the middle pond. Hanging around with
Westerns and dowitchers (short-billed?). It flew away at least 3
times when the birds would get spooked into flight, but would
return to that area after about 5 minutes. It was there when I
left (as I promised them I would) at 6:05.

--
Patrick McNulty W: (805) 893-4165
Santa Barbara. CA H: (805) 967-9900

Florence Sanchez <sanchez@...>

I'll try to get over there on my lunch hour. Unfortunately, all I have
with me today are my crummy binoculars. But since there was a solitary sp
there yesterday, It's very possible that there could be stilt sp as well.
we should also look for pectorals, too. (Legacy from my midwestern
experiences!)
Florence

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Karen Bridgers wrote:

Could someone check this out today, please????

Karen
[...]

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/764

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sbcobirding

Melissa Kelly <lis@...>

Those sewage ponds deserve close attention right now. I'm itching to get
out there but I have only until noon to complete my portions of next year's
funding proposal. As soon as I'm done though I'm sneakin' outta here...
Melissa Kelly

Karen Bridgers wrote:

[...]

Remote Sensing Research Unit
Geography Dept