Topics

Gaviota, Refugio & El Cap Beaches Today

Jamie Chavez

Taking advantage of the single entrance fee is good for all three parks in on the same day, I started at Gaviota this morning and located a TROPICAL KINGBIRD in the creek behind the campground which was visible from the open edge behind campsite 35. While standing there two sparrows were in the brush next to me. When I backed up to give them some space I identified both as BREWER'S SPARROWS. Not much else here:

I moved on to Refugio SB and only found the common things. The creek was quiet but the lerpy eucs had some tanagers and warblers. Best bird there was a Black-throated Gray Warbler. Great place to study Elegant and Royal terns together.

Last stop was El Capitan SB and the best I could manage was a Nashville Warbler near the entrance kiosk, and a spiffy looking "Gray-headed" Orange-crowned Warbler near the creek mouth. I had an Osprey flying east when I stepped out of the truck upon arrival. Everything else was to be expected.

Good birding,

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA