Topics

Goleta Beach YC Night Herons

Ron Hirst

I'm pretty sure there are 2 YC Night Herons about 1.5 years old at Goleta Beach. They are usu. near the parking lot/channel birding platform. Yesterday at 5pm dusk they were hunting in channel, and one was on the overhead wire a week ago at 1pm. What I first noticed was the white patch developing under and behind the eye plus the thick mostly black bill. The small white spots on covert tips are there and one of the birds has beginning shoulder plumes and a beginning white plume at the top of its head. Ron Hirst, SB