Topics

Goleta birding

Florence Sanchez

I birded around Goleta this morning.  I started with the Camino Corto open space area again as in spite of having been nearly dead yesterday, this spot has been a bit of a migrant trap in the past.  It was livelier than yesterday but still nothing remarkable.  I turned up a Wilson's Warbler today as well as both a Western Wood-Pewee and an Olive-sided Flycatcher.  It certainly appears that there is an active pair of Warbling Vireos at this spot.

Next stop was Stow Grove park, where there was a lot of bird activity.  At least 3 Yellow Warblers, possibly a mated pair.  Found four Western Tanagers, at least one of them singing.  The wooden fence between the ranger's house and the park is planted with both bottlebrush and Feijoa (Pineapple Guava), both of which were pulling birds like Black-headed Grosbeaks, Hooded Orioles and the afore-mentioned Yellow Warblers.  A water pipe with a seeping leak near there is also quite attractive to birds.  I found an active Nuttall's Woodpecker nest in that vicinity as well.

I moved on to Ellwood, where I had Orange-crowned, Yellow, Wilsons, and Common Yellowthroat down from the end of Ellwood Beach Road.  It was quieter near the puddle at the end of Coronado Drive, but eventually I had a Wilson's Warbler here too and a singing Western Tanager in the trees.  Bullock's Oriole is still hanging around in this vicinity.

Florence Sanchez