Topics

Goleta birds

Nick Lethaby

All,

This I checked out Coronado and then Camino Corto for migrants. At Camino Corto I quickly heard an unfamiliar song that I suspected to be a vagrant. I then ran into Cameron from Ventura who told me he thought he had seen a Redstart but hadn't gotten great looks. We soon got a visual on the bird and confirmed the identification. Both of us heard (and Cameron saw) the WE Vireo at different locations ranging all the way to West Campus Rd.

Between last night and this morning, I have located two Great Egret nests, one with very young chicks, along the west side of Devereux. I suspect these bird might be using old GBH nests.

There is decent array of summering shorebirds hanging out in the evenings at Devereux currently with LB Curlews, Whimbrels, Marbled Godwits, Greater Yellowlegs, Willet, Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers around most evenings.

At Area K today, I had 3 Short-billed Dowitchers. There were 2 WF Ibis as well. I am wondering if there is any chance they are attempting to nest this year, given how long birds have been hanging around.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Daniel Barica

We assume this to be an American Redstart, not a Painted Redstart?
Thank you for the distinction.

Daniel Barica,
Huntington Beach, CA