Gray Catbird at Arroyo Hondo

Mark Holmgren

I saw that an eBird data gap was available at Arroyo Hondo so I made arrangements to visit with an out-of-town friend. Good birding at AH today!  We found a Gray Catbird feeding on the fruits of California Coffeeberry along with Yellow-breasted Chat, Western Tanager, and a couple of warbler species.  I saw a small spot-breasted thrush, which was almost certainly a Swainson’s Thrush.

At the north end of our route we heard a calling Northern Pygmy-Owl At this same place a Merriam’s Chipmunk called.  I recorded the species' calls and placed both recordings in the Pygmy-Owl slot on my checklist so that folks might compare these two easily confusable calls.  Listen soon before the eBird Police make me remove the mammal recording from the checklist!

Our route and the location of the fruiting Coffeeberries and the Pygmy-Owl is shown in this checklist.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S94622069

Reservations to visit Arroyo Hondo can be made at https://www.sblandtrust.org/portfolio-item/arroyo-hondo-preserve/

I would not have visited Arroyo Hondo had I not been alerted to the opportunity to contribute to the eBird Hotspot Gaps Project.  See more here: http://www.sbcobirding.com/sbcohotspots.html

 Mark Holmgren