Topics

Harbor July 27

Florence Sanchez

I got down to the SB Harbor early this morning because I wanted to see if I could pick up and clearly identify at least one of the birds I thought might have been a Wandering Tattler last  Saturday.  I was successful in that when I found one on the beach in front of the yacht club.  Definitely a Tattler--an adult in very nice, heavily striped (on the breast and belly) underparts.  At the time I saw the Tattler, there was one Black Turnstone with it.  On my way out, I saw it was joined by 5 more Turnstones.

Other shorebirds seen on the beach and Sandspit were Willets, Whimbrels, Long-billed Curlews, 2 Marbled Godwits, and 1 Western Sandpiper.  There was only one Elegant Tern on the sandspit, but there were others flying by.  Later at the Mission Creek outfall, there were 350-400 more resting on the sand.  Among the Western Gulls on the sandspit were three fresh juveniles.

Florence Sanchez