From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io <main@sbcobirding.groups.io> On Behalf Of Guy Tingos via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 8:33 AM
To: Local Birders <sbcobirding@groups.io>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Harris's Hawk FYI

Regardless of the identification of the bird recently reported, Harris’s Hawk is one of the most common hawks flown by falconers. It is often used to chase away gulls and crows. A Harris’s Hawk is currently being used by Cottage Hospital to keep the helipad clear. I have also seen them used as gull deterrents at the Bacara Resort and the Miramar. They are beautiful birds and not likely to be mistaken for anything else. There are frequent sightings in the County, but to my knowledge none have been accepted as naturally occurring birds.

Guy Tingos

Guy Tingos
Santa Barbara