Topics

Haskell's Beach

Florence Sanchez

I decided to check the Cormorant nesting platforms off Haskell's Beach this morning for no real reason except that something good (think Booby) might possibly be resting there.  Not the case!  The beach was quiet in terms of bird activity--only 2 whimbrel at water's edge.  The little estuary formed by the nearby creek (Tecolote Creek?) had 5 Snowy Egrets resting on the shore and I spotted a juvenile Green Heron there too.  It had just caught a very large dragonfly and didn't seem to know quite what to do with it.

The Green Heron was a nice spot for me because I had found them to be few and far between in SB County this year.  My sense is that this species is declining in the county--does any one else feel that?  Therefore it was especially nice to turn up a juvenile this morning.

(Haskell's Beach is the old name for the Beach by the Ritz-Carleton Bacara resort.)

Florence Sanchez

Wes Fritz

Hi Florence,

Only a Couple/few pairs Green Herons nest along the south or western portion of District C each year. You should see a uptick in numbers as fall starts.

Thank you for all your reports. Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

On Aug 27, 2020, at 3:19 PM, Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry Florence,

I meant the eastern portion of District C. My bad. Good birding