Topics

Horned Larks at the Carpinteria Bluffs

John Callender

This morning I saw a group of 7 Horned Larks near the Bailard Avenue parking at the Carpinteria Bluffs. The were in a flock that would rise, flit about the area making their twittering flight calls, then drop into the grass and disappear. I saw them in flight through binoculars at fairly close range and am confident of the ID, but I failed to get any photos.

I don't recall seeing this species at the bluffs before, and Paul Lehman's Birds of Santa Barbara County confirms that they're unusual in this part of the south coast at this time of year.

John Callender
Carpinteria