Topics

Jalama White-winged and Plumbeous photos; Alice Keck MacGillivray's

Noah Arthur

I only had about an hour at Jalama Beach this morning, but saw and photo'ed a PLUMBEOUS VIREO and juvenile WHITE-WINGED DOVE in my first few minutes in the willows. The vireo appeared very briefly in the willows near the "Wildlife Habitat -- Keep Out" sign and wasn't seen again; it probably foraged upstream into the closed area. The dove was in the westernmost clump of willows, sitting quietly low down in the tangle, near a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE. It eventually hopped down and wandered along the ground deeper into the tangle, acting like the secretive White-tipped Doves I saw in Texas last summer. On the way back to the car I came across a juvenile CACKLING GOOSE near one of the shower buildings in the campground; this was a very unhappy, thin, and lethargic bird and probably not long for this world unless somebody feeds/helps it consistently in the coming days. There were surprisingly few common migrants around given the number of rarities, with the only warblers being a small handful of ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS.

Photos of all these birds here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60417014

Late in the evening I birded Alice Keck Park and found a few migrants, including a WILSON'S WARBLER,  a few COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, and a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER foraging in and near a paloverde tree in the north end of the park (near the intersection of Garden and Arrellaga).

Noah Arthur (Oakland/Ventura)
semirelicta@...
510-967-2179