Topics

Juncal Camp and Jameson Reservoir

Mark Holmgren

My bike rode me from Romero Saddle down to Juncal Campground on the Santa Ynez River, then upstream to Jameson Reservoir.

At Juncal Campground there was continuing breeding activity, as evidenced by birds still singing and feeding fledglings.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58452293

I needed more time at Jameson Res so the checklist linked was not as thorough as it should have been.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58452724

Some new information:

A “couple” of adult Eared Grebes were together on Jameson Res. It’s reasonable to assume that they summered here.  Breeding status is not clear. It’s in an unlikely location for this species.

IMG_1894 Eared Grebes Juncal crop.jpg

At least 4 Great-tailed Grackles were in the marshy area at the east end of Jameson Reservoir. This would be an extension upstream of their known distribution in the Santa Ynez Valley.

A female Green Heron was on the dam.

IMG_1901 Green Heron crop.jpg

I found breeding American Coot and Pied-billed Grebe.  I was a bit surprised to not see Spotted Sandpiper or any swallows.  This area deserves regular coverage.

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass