Topics

Kinevan and Alisal Roads

Florence Sanchez

I needed to get out of the June gloom for a while, so went up to Kinevan Road this morning, which was just barely above the fog.  It was a nice morning for a walk and is one place in June where there is still a lot of activity from Land birds. Best find was seeing the elusive Hermit Thrush that has been heard up there this spring.  It was in a tree on the far side of the creek near mile marker 12.  It was hanging around with a pair of Robins and at first I thought I'd found a Juvenile Robin.  But a better look especially of the rufous tail proved it to be a Hermit Thrush.  Prior to seeing it, I heard its distinct "chuk" call, quite different from the Robin's "quirk."

In addition to the Robins, I saw or heard Warbling and Hutton's Vireos, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Black-headed Grosbeak, Purple Finches, Lesser goldfinches, Dark-eyed Juncos,White-breasted Nuthatches, Flicker, Steller's Jays, and Downy, Hairy, and Nuttall's Woodpeckers.  It was kind of fun watching the feeders at the red and white house down the canyon:  When I walked by, they had been taken down and the birds were flying around in confusion, looking for breakfast.  On my return walk, the newly-filled feeders were back up and several species were gobbling up seed as fast as possible:  House and Purple Finches, Lesser Goldfinch, Black-headed Grosbeak, and Juncos.

There is still water in the creek and there are some nice specimens of Humbolt's Lily in bloom.

I was enjoying the sun so took the long route home through Solvang and Alisal Road.  I stopped at the spot where the Northern Parula has been hangin gout and he's still going strong.  He was frequenting the sycamore across the small field to the southeast of the road and thus not easy to see, but certainly easy to hear.

Florence Sanchez