Topics

Kinevan and Carpinteria

Florence Sanchez

I walked Kinevan Road this morning.  It was pretty chilly at the bottom of the canyon and the sun is not reaching some of the trees in the morning yet, but a lot of common species were singing and activity was pretty good.  Birds of note were 2 Steller's Jays, lots of Townsend's Warblera in a sunny location at the West Camino Cielo entrance to the road, and an unexpected Varied Thrush.  The Thrush was silently feeding on the ground at the edge of the road in a very shady location.  I watched it for several minutes before it flew back into the trees and disappeared.  The location was just below the roadside marker with the number 13 marked on it.

This afternoon I tried for both the continuing Solitary Sandpiper and Northern Waterthrush in Carpinteria.  The former didn't show--I found Larry Ballard at Lake Jocelyn when I arrived and he had done a good search for it.  At Carpinteria Creek, I spent about 45 minutes before the Waterthrush finally appeared, moving through the grass and leaf litter on the far side of the creek and just upstream from the sewage treatment plant.  It never came completely into the open but by watching its movements for several minutes, I ended up with decent views of it.  Tail bobbing is very obvious even when it is in the grass clumps.  This was just after 3 p.m.

Florence Sanchez