Topics

La Cumbre Peak

Florence Sanchez

I visited the Peak this morning for the first time since late spring.  Though there were not a lot of birds, it was an interesting mix.  In the pines at the Peak, In addition to the usual chaparral birds, I had a Steller's Jay and at least 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches, along with a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Then walking east along East Camino Cielo, I picked up a Townsend's Warbler and a Black-throated Gray Warbler were moving west together.  In the same vicinity, a Fox Sparrow popped up briefly (appeared to be a Sooty Fox Sparrow).  I had another Red-breasted Nuthatch and another Yellow-rump at the communications station, and a Red-breasted Sapsucker passed overhead, flying west.  Back at the peak, I had two Purple finches and a latish Olive-sided Flycatcher.

No sign of a Townsend's Solitaire today.  No toyon berries yet, but the Madrones behind the communication station have a bumper crop of not-quite-ripe berries on them.

Florence Sanchez