Topics

La Cumbre Peak 1-10-19

Florence Sanchez

Though it was chilly, the sun was out and there was lots of activity at the Peak and Communications STation this morning, though from the local Chaparral species, rather than montane species.  Still, it was a lot better than my last visit to those sites, where I had a total of 10 birds, five of them Scrub Jays!

It took some time, but I finally located the Townsend's Solitaire that has been on the mountain since mid-fall.  Today , it was well east of the Peak where the pines start to run out.  It was fly-catching in a Coulter Pine next to the road.   In the same vicinity was a Hairy Woodpecker, the first one of seen on the mountain in over a month.

I noticed on Gibraltar Road that the white ceanothus are starting to bloom on the lower slopes, and up on top, the Manzanitas seem to have burst into bloom overnight.  This means more pollen and insects are available, which in tern means more birds (hopefully).

Great Views, wonderful piney scent in the fresh cool air this morning.

Florence Sanchez