Topics

Lake Los Carneros Friday morning

Robert Lindsay

10/25, 7:30-9:00 am

Lake Los Carneros was mostly quiet today. The best bird on most of the walk was a single Myrtle Warbler among the fairly abundant Yellow-rumps. But I did hear several Virginia Rail calling as I circled the lake. There was one hot spot, the bay to the east of the dam. Here I saw two Greater Yellowlegs, 7 Short-billed Dowtcher (there may have been a Long-billed but I never got a good enough look to be sure), a Green Heron, a pair of Cinnamon Teal, a Sora chasing a Virginia Rail, a Wilson's Snipe, and a White-faced Ibis. The Ibis flew off towards the Goleta Slough while I was there.
Other birds seen around the lake included an Allen's Hummingbird, a California Thrasher, Red-tailed, Red-shouldered and Cooper's Hawk, a California Thrasher, and a particularly well-marked Golden-crowned Sparrow along with a number of other very common species.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay