Topics

Least Bittern at Lake Los Carneros

Libby Patten

I heard a deep coo-coo-coo song from the reeds near the northwest corner of the lake today. It repeated the whole time I was there and I recorded it, although it’s pretty faint on the recording. After some research I determined this seems to be the song of the Least Bittern. It appears one was heard in this general area of the lake in late February. I invite anyone who knows the song stylings of this species to review my ID.

--
Libby Patten
Santa Barbara

John Callender

I heard the bird near the same location early this morning, then was able to get some (poor) photos of it a little later. Thanks, Libby!

Details in the following eBird list.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S70201337

John Callender
Carpinteria