Topics

Least Bittern at LLC this morning

Rebecca Coulter

During birding class this morning, Dennis Ringer spotted a Least Bittern in the reeds at the southwest corner of the lake. We had nice scope views, and it was a life bird for many. We viewed it while standing about 50m east of the western edge of the dam. It was tucked into the reeds on the north side of the little cove created by the curve of the lake at the southwest corner.

In other news, a few waterfowl have arrived, with a handful each of Northern Shoveler and American Wigeon, and three Redhead. (The lake is being aerated with some kind of noisy mechanical pump, fyi. Apparently this helps deter the growth of the algae.) Other migrants present were Lincoln’s, Golden-crowned, and White-crowned sparrows, and trees full of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Western Tanagers in the parking lot.

Rebecca Coulter
SB