Topics

lerps on Eucs

Patrick McNulty <MCNULTY-P@...>

I have not been to Australia to see this myself, but it is not unusual for biology grad students or post-docs to come from Australia to UCSB and comment that the stands of Eucalypts they see in California are much more massive and impressive than one normally sees in Australia. Presumably this is in part because they have escaped their pests and predators here (the trees, not the students), and now the psyllids and other imports are moving us towards more "authentic" looking Eucs.

Patrick McNulty Phone: (805) 967-9900
Santa Barbara, CA E-Mail: mcnulty@gte.net

Florence Sanchez <sanchez@library.ucsb.edu> 9/22/99 8:40:34 AM >>>
Aa few years ago, the long-horned borer was going to "wipe out all the
eucalyptus." But after the initial explosion, the population of this pest
receded dramatically, though it's still present. I suspect the same thing
will happen to the psyllid that is ceating the lerps. It will continue
to be present and will cause some damage, but the eucalyptus will survive,
for the most part. As we have seen, local organisms often step in to
assume the role of predators, given enough time.

A certified arborist recently gave me his perspective on this pest:
1. It does not in itself kill the tree (like the borer), but causes
severe defoliation. In mild to moderate cases, it is a natural pruning
and under optimal conditions, the trees will refoliate.

2. Its effects are far worse in drought conditions. A wet winter may
help many trees recover. Affected trees should be watered, if possible,
to help them recover (not possible in many cases, though).

3. Stressed trees that are severely infested may become vunverable to the
borer, which will kill the trees.

Florence Sanchez