Leucistic Heermann's Gull at the mouth of Carpinteria Creek

John Callender

This morning at the mouth of Carpinteria Creek I saw a weird-looking gull that I think is probably a leucistic immature Heermann's Gull. Photos are in the following eBird list:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S103632785

I'm curious if others have opinions about the bird, or past experience with similar birds.

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

Some googling turned up some interesting photos by Oscar Johnson from 2008 of a leucistic adult Heermann's Gull with similar light-brown coloration. See:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S49361221

So it seems possible that if the immature I saw today makes it to adulthood it could end up looking like that.

John Callender
Carpinteria