Topics

LLC & Stow Grove

Florence Sanchez

I checked out these spots this morning.  It was a lovely day to bird and there was abundant bird activity throughout the Park at LLC, though I found nothing rare.  Habitat is excellent for wintering birds with lots of berries, olives, good lake level, and a couple of eucalyptus coming into bloom.   NOt much variety in ducks yet.

At Stow Grove, it was fairly quiet, but it was also almost 11 a.m. when I got there, so that was to be expected.  No sign of any Sapsuckers--just lots of Acorn Woodpeckers and a single Nuttall's.  The most interesting feature at this location is an oozing water pipe that was pulling in lots of birds.  Again, I didn't see anything unexpected, but the variety was nice and it would be a good venue for a "big sit."  Just bring a chair, sit and relax, and see what comes in during the morning.

The pipe is at the west end of the redwood section, just before a big pile of wood chips.  IT is in an area surrounded by wood rail fence and has several dead young redwoods in the enclosre.  The pipe is tall and should have a rainbird head on it, but the head is missing and water is seeping down the length of the pipe.  Consequently, birds catch what drinks they can from top to bottom, wherever they can get a good perch.  Species I saw visit the pipe over a brief time were Acorn Woodpecker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Dark-eyed Junco, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, House Finch, and Lesser Goldfinch.

Florence Sanchez