Topics

Long-eared Owl

Jim Long

I guess this site sadly has lost it's relevance when no one bothers to post the rarest bird found on the CBC.   When posted here some 8 hours after it was discovered there was no location given that I could find.  Even on eBird all I saw was the oft used inaccurate decimal, 5 digit coords that show the owls out in the water.   The ultimate insult was to wake up and find it on the front page of the News Press.
Jim Long
Santa Barbara

Wes Fritz

   Hi all, not just SB Birders.

I do not think it is too sad that the owls just want to rest/sleep in peace and be left alone. This is just a guess, but I think they are hiding for a reason. With this turning out to be a record low for wintering bird numbers and other animals they would forage on is a very sensitive situation. The weather forecast is not going to help these two owls get their hunting needs done in a park surrounded by houses. Once the word gets out to the LLC community there is going to be a lot of smart phone photos of these birds by people that have a poor understanding of how close you can get. Well, that is If the Long-eared Owls return.

Do you remember the Bobcat paparazzi situation at LLC with people driving for hours to photograph their kittens?. Well, there are a lot more birders that want killer Long-eared Owl photos that they can just walk up to.

Have I seen these birds?- No. Do I want to see these birds? -Yes. Will I look for these birds? -Yes. Am I disappointed they have already been flushed off their day roost?- YES.

I personally applaud the mis-marked exact location of these two birds. Thank you for giving them the respect while they lasted. Nice job!!!

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
Solvang CA

On Jan 6, 2019, at 9:33 AM, Jim Long <tagdesjim@...> wrote:

I guess this site sadly has lost it's relevance when no one bothers to post the rarest bird found on the CBC.   When posted here some 8 hours after it was discovered there was no location given that I could find.  Even on eBird all I saw was the oft used inaccurate decimal, 5 digit coords that show the owls out in the water.   The ultimate insult was to wake up and find it on the front page of the News Press.
Jim Long
Santa Barbara

Jim Long

Found fairly easily late this morning by myself and 3 other birders thanks to the information given in the News Press.  Evidently my earlier post " ruffled a few feathers " .  I didn't realize that your having it on the front page of the News Press with a plethora of telling details was in line with keeping it a secret.  Additionally no less than 4 different posts  regarding  Burrowing, Short-eared and Northern Pygmy were listed timely with precise locations within the last month.  The Short-eared and Northern Pygmy  are nocturnal just like the Long-eared. Notable that they were all posted by names listed today that should know better than I what's acceptable.  Wes, rest assured we were very stealthy and one is still there for you.  Also those coords were not misleading to keep a secret, they are just the generic location by Google for LLC.  So now that I'm aware of the rules regardless of all your contradictions any birder with Iphone will not be privy to my Garmin GPS readings

Jim Long

I'm not sure what people think happened, yesterday. All I know is that the News-Press was with the group that found the Long-eared Owl. I would not presume anything else about the process that led to the article in the paper, such as anyone telling them it was OK to publicize the owls. I'm sure most of us wish that the article had never been written. As for the different owl species that have been reported lately, Burrowing, Short-eared, and Northern Pygmy-Owl all have very different habits from one another, and from Long-eared Owl. The former three are all birds that are active outside they're roosting locations to different levels in the day time. Long-eared Owls are highly secretive birds during the day that select well-hidden, undisturbed roost sites.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to see these birds. I considered going there myself yesterday, but elected not to. I definitely would not have posted to this list, if I had seen them (not knowing that the News-Press was going to put a photo on their front page!). I hope if anyone else does see the birds, they won't post it here. For eBirders, you might consider holding off entering the observation for a week, or maybe hide your checklist until a week has passed. That way, no one will see the birds on the weekly alerts.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 6:21 PM Jim Long <tagdesjim@...> wrote:
[...]

SB Birders, please accept my apology. I really do not want a birding feud to start, or have any division in our birding groups and reports.

Hi Jim,
Sadly you want to take this to a personal level and I guess this note/attack was meant for me. As stated, my note was for everybody.
  First off, ebird only thinks of only a few owls of being special enough to keep their data from the LURKING TROLLS.
  Secondly, the “ nocturnal”
Owls you mention are more like diurnal and are crepuscular.
 Many of the owls you mention were on private property. And we are not clear if you are spouting off about our county, state or going national?
  Being I don’t use ebird, I want to thank you for your explanation and education regarding the Lat and long for the LLC site.
  I am also pleased that you and your stealthy troop tracked down the sleeping owl. That’s pretty cool, only 50% are left. Please, do not worry about me seeing these birds. I have seen plenty in Santa Barbara County, I just don’t report them. This is great news that you now can add this bird to your life, ABA, State, county, city, park, year, daily or if you wear a special pair of underwear list. ( just saying) example* Olaf Danielson did a Big Year in 2012 in the NUDE , he managed 594 in the lower 48 while being naked!!! You can read his Big Year book “ Boobys Peckers and Tits” ( so there are some strange lists out there) I am very happy for you that you feel your self worth is much more valuable now.
  Yes, and the smart phone remark was for all the curious people using the park that are seeing us birders staring into a tree. On many occasions I have witnessed the public trying to capture an image with their smart phones to keep their Facebook/social media  lifestyle alive?. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I have only heard about the news paper deal, but I know that nobody’s happy about that. My apologies.

What ever happened  to good ol’ healthy birding? You know, where you head out to the field to see the unknown? Anybody can follow a map with the lat and long on it, where’s the challenge? Skill? Conscience? No guilt? That’s like going golfing and having a pro hit the ball for you and you take the score for yourself, all you have to do is show up.

The only list of birds that should really matter, are the <SELF FOUND BIRD LIST>, something to be proud of.

If you want to discuss this further. Please contact me off list, call me, come over to my house and we will have a few beers and we can work this misunderstanding out.

Just to reiterate, I want our county to be one happy family that helps each other see the birds they want to see.

Happy and productive birding.

Wes