Topics

Lucy's Warbler

Guy Tingos

This morning, Betsy called my attention to a small gray warbler in our water feature. I was able to observe it several times for brief periods and based on field marks I’m comfortable calling it a Lucy’s Warbler, most likely a juvenile. The bird was a very small warbler, gray above with a dark eye on a plain face. The reduced wing bars were buffy and there was a touch of chestnut/buff in the upper tail coverts. No chestnut was observed on the crown. Underparts were off white with a buffy wash across the breast. The bird was very active and was only visible for brief periods of time although I did get some scope views. Time to start checking out fennel patches.

Guy Tingos

Guy Tingos
Santa Barbara