Topics

MacKenzie Park Black-and-white Warbler, Lerps

Adam Searcy

A quick stop at MacKenzie Park (State and Alamar) yielded a male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER in the Tipu trees along the eastern baseball field.

There are also two productive lerpy red gum Eucalyptus here with lots of birds. There are two in the main parking lot, the northern of that pair drawing most of the birds and another Located directly behind the MacKenzie center that also has lots of activity. Birds present today in these trees: HERMIT, AUDUBON’S, YELLOW, NASHVILLE, ORANGE-CROWNED, and WILSON’S WARBLERS, CEDAR WAXWING, WESTERN TANAGER, WARBLING VIREO, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, among others. These trees are drawing in good numbers and diversity—keep an eye out for any additional lerp-infested red gums and please post any that are accessible and productive.

Other than the Black-and-white Warbler, the Tipus continue to attract/hold very few birds.

Good luck,
Adam

Adam Searcy
Santa Barbara, CA
Serpophaga@...

Florence Sanchez

I checked MacKenzie Park today on my way to and from errands at Loretto Plaza.  I did not turn up a Black and White Warbler, But the lerpy eucs Adams noted in his report continue to be full of birds, which are not too hard to see.  The foliage is not dense on these trees though they are rather tall.

I had a variety of expected Warblers along with Warbling Vireos, Cedar Waxwings, and at least 3 different Western Tanagers.  For a heart-stoping moment, I thought one of them might be a scarlet tanager because it was bright yellow, but then I was able to see the white wingbars and that ended that.

There are also a lot of hummingbirds in these trees, with Rufous-Allen's type being the most common.   One of them was really bright orange and looked like a ball of orange all over when the sun hit it in flight.  It was never close enough to me to be sure, but I have a feeling this is a male Rufous, though such sightings would be rare this time of year.

To others who may want to bird this park, trying checking the pepper trees for Sapsuckers.  They have turned up here in some past winters. None found today.

Florence Sanchez