Topics

Marsh birding

Florence Sanchez

I checked out some of our marsh areas this morning.  The birding overall was as dull as the skies but here are a couple of notes that might be of interest.

At the Carpinteria salt marsh, I had a flyover of three Ibis (presumably White-faced) flying west.  About 15 minutes later, what was most likely the same flock of three came back over the marsh, this time flying east.  No sign of a Reddish Egret, but I could not access the slough entrance.

At Devereux, I noted a flock of 20 Caspian terns resting on a sandbar in the middle of the slough.  If this flock persists, it should be checked regularly a summer progresses for other tern species.

Florence Sanchez