Mission Canyon and Rocky Nook Parks

Florence Sanchez

I have walked the loop walk between these two location in lower Mission Canyon both yesterday with guests and today solo.  Migrant activity is not high, but there are both Hooded and Bullock's Orioles on the Museum grounds and today I had a Western Tanager as well.  Yellow Warblers (both make and female ) have returned to Rocky Nook Park and I saw or heard a singel Wilson's Warbler in each location.  Warbling Vireo present in Rocky Nook this morning; also a possible Cassin's Vireo (seen poorly).  Lots of evidence of early breeding of resident birds:  Young Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatch, and Juncos.

I walked down Mission Canyon Road to the bridge where I could scan the large silk oak on the Mt. Calvary property.  This tree has held surprises in the past and today I found 2 Black-headed Grosbeaks, a Western Tanager, a female Yellow Warbler, and a spiffy Yellow-rump there along with more common birds.

Florence Sanchez