Topics

Montecito Birding

Florence Sanchez

This morning, I hiked the lower portion of the Buena Vista Trail.  Most of the action was near the trailhead, where I quickly saw and heard 2 Olive-sided flycatchers working the creek.  Also heard here was a Western Wood-Pewee and on my way out, an Ash-throated Flycatcher.  In the tall dead trees, I had both Hooded and Bullock's Oriole and a couple of Black-headed Grosbeaks.  Warblers seen and/or heard along the creek were Yellow, Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and Yellowthroats.  I went as far as the intersection with the San Ysidro/Romero trails and then turned back.  That end of the trail was windy at first, but it died down completely a little after 8.  Back at the trailhead, I had outstanding looks at male and female Lazuli Bunting, and an Audubon's-type Yellowrump flycatching from one of the dead trees.

Next stop was the Ennisbrook trail.  We owe a debt of thanks to the Montecito Trails Association and the Bucket Brigade for getting this trail in good condition again.

The trail was popping with Warblers from the beginning all the way up to the loop, where I turned around and headed back.  I tried to keep count of numbers but it eventually got beyond me, so these are very rough estimates:  Orange-crowned-12, Yellow 8, Townsend's 5, Black-throated Gray-10, Nashville-6, Wilson's 6, Common Yellowthroat-1, Myrtle-type Yellowrump-1.  Warbling Vireos were everywhere, at least a dozen.  At the loop, I had a Cassin's Vireo singing and feeding.  I found no Western Tanagers this morning, but there were at least 8 Bullock's Orioles around, one of them a deep drop-dead neon orange male.  Also a couple of Hooded Orioles and a couple of Black-headed Grosbeaks.

I paid close attention to Flycatchers but the only Empids I could identify for sure were Pacific Slope, and there were a lot of them.  However, at the very start of the trail, there was a gray-looking Empid working some low vegetation along the creek, but it few off before I could home in on any details, never to be seen again.

Florence Sanchez