Topics

more on hawkwatch info today

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Hi All:
Around noon today, Marilyn and I decided to check out the hawk watch site. Since there were lots of workers parked along the wall, and no shade was available, we drove to the next promontory west, and watched looking west out over Romero Canyon & further.
We spotted a distant kettle of 9 Turkey Vultures, watched them circle higher and higher, then peel off along the ridgetop and fly over us and eastward.
We got in the car and drove west along Bella Vista, and sure enough we ended up at the landmark house that we’d spotted beneath the kettle and it was right where Mariposa joins Bella Vista Dr. This is where Nick Lethaby mentioned hawks catching the thermals on a day earlier this week, so there’s something about this location that’s good. Is it the proximity to the next big canyon to the west (San Ysidro, although BUENA Vista is a small drainage before that)?
No other raptors observed, but this feels like more info to add to the hawkwatch data!

Good birding!
Joan Lentz

Ron Hirst

I looked at a satellite image of where Bella Vista, Mariposa Dr. and Park Lane meet. There is a concentration of heat reflecting/emitting surface in that area with the big rooftops, driveways, blacktop streets, open fields and rocks. Ridge lift and the way nearby topography channels heat might also come into play. See you there soon.
Ron Hirst, SB

Ron Hirst

I went to intersection of Bella Vista, Mariposa and Park and saw many hawks from 11:45-12:25 These were 1 Ferruginous, 1 Red Shouldered, 8 Red Tail, 1 Sharp Shinned plus 16 TVs. Standing 100 ft. above the intersection, on Park, gave best views of a kettle, and many individuals over the time period.

Ron Hirst, SB