Topics

More on Neotropic, and link to photos

Hugh Ranson

When I arrived at LLC the bird was with Double-crested Cormorants at the east end of the dam (duck feeding area). It swam off with the other cormorants when duck feeders arrived, and stayed out in the center of the lake for some time. It left the main group of cormorants and fished close to the tules along the west end of the lake. As soon as the humans had gone and it saw the other cormorants had returned, it made a bee line for the dam. So, if you see a bunch of cormorants on the lake but not a tiny one with them, do look around because it seems to like to do its own thing.

When I left it was still sitting on the concrete. It allows close approach if you're quiet and don't throw things.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara