Topics

Morning Birding Oct. 7

Florence Sanchez

I waited until about 9 a.m. to go to MacKenzie Park but it still was pretty overcast and viewing wa harder than when I was there on Monday.  Consequently, many warblers in the lerpy Eucs went unidentified, but I pulled out an unexpected Tennessee Warbler in the mix.  Grounds person was working in the baseball fields, so no chance to check out sparrows.

Later in the morning after the sun came out, I went up to the Riviera Business complex to check out the center court fountain.  It was very quiet and had been so according to 2 other birders on the spot.  Mario and Andrea left  some time after 11.  At 11:20, the place exploded with warblers coming down to drink and bathe.

At one time, I counted 5 Yellow Warblers, 2 Wilson's Warblers, 2 orange-crowned Warblers (both Gray-headed form) and at least 3 Yellow-rumped Warblers along with a White-crowned Sparrow.  I had a quick flash of a bird coming down that was all black and white and seemed to have black and white stripes on the crown, which would make it a Black-and-white Warbler.  It dropped out of sight into a clump of sedges behind the hedge.  I waited for it to fly up again so I could identify it, but when it didn't reappear, I changed position so that I could see if it was still there.  It wasn't!  Not sure how it got out without my seeing it.

At 11:25, it was like someone rang a bell and all the birds departed as quickly as they came.  After that, nothing came down but a single Yellow Warbler and that only very briefly.  I waited around another 15 minutes but the activity was done.

Florence Sanchez