North coast birds

Nick Lethaby

All,

Today I birded Casmalia, Guadalupe, and the Santa Ynez River Estuary. I did a quick distant scan of the Santa Maria River mouth and beach and it was so birdless, I didn't spend any more time there.

At Casmalia, I had 7 YH Blackbirds in a flock of 105 Tricolored Blackbirds at a dairy. I had a couple of Ferruginous Hawks around Guadalupe, but raptor numbers seem down here this winter. I saw the 3 male Vermilion Flycatchers at Jack O'Connell Park.

At the Santa Ynez River Mouth, there were plenty of dabbling ducks (over 750). Best birds were an alternate male RN Phalarope, a WF ibis, a BW Teal, 14 Pintail, and 10 Whitefronted Geese. I had a Merlin along Ocean Avenue while driving into Lompoc.

Regards,

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA