From: BONNIE CLARFIELD BYLIN <conejomoon@...>
Date: Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Ocean Beach Park
To: Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...>

Thanks, we ended up spending 3.5 hours at

Nojoqui Falls County Park and had quite good looks at several species of warblers.  Boy,   were the birds hot, often they were open-beaked and moved slower than usual.  The insect hatch seemed active, so there was a lot of bird food.  Among the warblers we had a black & white in a huge oak and a Canada Warbler about halfway or so to the falls in the dry creek area!

We just left the Coronado seep, mostly we saw many Wilson’s warblers visiting these water.

Hoping to catch the Chestnut-backed chickadees on Bates Toad on the Ventura side for our last stop!

Thanks for you replies to my email!

Happy Birding,
Bonnir

On Sep 7, 2020, at 12:06, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:

maybe try Refugio Rd just upstream of the freeway.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 11:46 AM BONNIE CLARFIELD BYLIN <conejomoon@...> wrote:
Thanks! Well at least the least tern cooperated.

With all the rowdy people, I would sure fly far away to the beach, or further East up the mouth.

We are in Los Alamos now and planning to bird south of Lompoc, but Morth of Sabta Barbara.  Amy recommendations.  We live in the Conejo Valley, so we rarely get up here.  Birding our way home.  (This heat dies not help with finding warblers, lol.)

Have a lovely day.

Warmly,
Bonnie & Stephen Bylin
Thousand Oaks

On Sep 7, 2020, at 05:21, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:

The Baird's landed near the mouth for about 10 minutes and then flew up-river out of sight. The Common Tern was initially distantly visible from the car park, as was the turnstone, but both disappeared. The tern was hanging around later up-river ( I have base access so can check areas you cannot). Not sure what happened to the turnstone, but it might have gone out to the beach.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 9:35 PM BONNIE CLARFIELD BYLIN <conejomoon@...> wrote:
Hello,

We were there today mid-late afternoon, without such luck.  We tried so hard to find the Bairds.  Just curious where they were?  We did find the Julie least tern, but no martins, common tern or ruddy turnstone!   There were many active humans when we birdied there.

On Sep 6, 2020, at 9:30 PM, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:

All,

There were 3 Baird's, a Ruddy Turnstone, and a juv Common Tern today. A juv Least Tern lingered. A flock of 7 Purple Martins was probably the rarest sighting.

Nick

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA