Topics

Olive-sided, and dragonfly book

Hugh Ranson

There was an Olive-sided Flycatcher at Crane School, Montecito, on Sunday. Now
I've got the birds out of the way, here's a message from Stuart Wilson:

Nick Lethaby has finished The Dragonflies and Damselflies of Santa Barbara
County, California. Nick will be attending our next Santa Barbara
Entomologists meeting on May 25, and after Ida Naughton’s program on Argentine
Ants (at Farran Hall, SBMNH), he will talk briefly about the new book. Nick
will be available to sign copies (get yours ahead of time at the link below)
when we move to the Collections Building. He'll have a couple of copies on hand
for you to peruse. In the meantime, the book is available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragonflies-Damselflies-Barbara-County-California/dp/153902105X/

Below is a review I wrote for his Amazon listing:

by Nick Lethaby (Author),‎ Hugh Ranson (Photographer),‎ Peter Gaede
(Photographer)
This is a handy field reference to the odonates of Santa Barbara County, which
lies at the cusp of Northern and Southern California, covering a region of
great diversity. Plants and animals, including the odonates, mingle from both
areas. Nick Lethaby has carefully compiled reported sightings from multiple
sources giving the reader up to date information on all species found in the
area. Consideration is given to climatic factors that affect migrant and
vagrant reportings. Habitats most likely to contain odonates are illustrated.
For a person wishing to observe odonates, many locations are noted that include
coordinates. Each species of dragonfly and damselfly is given a page including
locality and date information with a close-up photograph. This will be helpful
for identification, though some species can only be keyed through detailed
study beyond the scope of the book. In all, 53 species are included in a
checklist with more listed as potential additions from neighboring or distant
areas. Included in the Appendix is a table listing all species found on each of
the four northern Channel Islands.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara