Topics

ORCHARD ORIOLE IN CAPRINTERIA

Florence Sanchez

This morning I walked the trail by Santa Monica Creek from Calle Real to Foothill and back.  I did not see or hear an Oriole on the way up, but on the way back I heard a blackbird like "check" from the Cape Honeysuckle bushes on the far creek bank.   I kept seeing movement, but it took a few minutes before a male Orchard Oriole moved into clear view, feeding on the flowers.  I watched it for several minutes.

Otherwise nothing of particular note along Santa Monica Creek.  I then went to Lake Jocelyn where I found the 2 White-fronted Geese John Callender reported but I did not find the Solitary Sandpiper that has also been there.  The lake level is low, so that by changing my location several times I was able to view the entire shoreline.  Still present here are lots of beautiful Green-winged Teal, and 3 Dowitchers.

Florence Sanchez