Topics

Ovenbird at Santa Cruz Scorpion

Kirill Shtengel

Last night I came back from an overnight trip to Santa Cruz Island (Scorpion).
The highlight of the trip birding-wise was an OVENBIRD foraging on the ground near campsite 7 (lower camping) last morning. The photos can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185115796@N02. There appears to be something around the birds' beak, but I can't quite figure out what it might be.
The camping had quite a few birds in general, but nothing too striking otherwise. I saw at least 3 fox sparrows (that is 3 at once, the total number of sightings was higher, but it's hard to say whether I saw the same birds on several occasions). This is not the first time I see fox sparrows there: I saw them 2 weeks ago as well as last year at about the same time - they could be wintering there.
The number of island jays seems to have exploded over the last couple of years; they are seemingly everywhere at and near the campground and I distinctly remember putting an effort into finding my first one a few years back.
I also had a very close Peregrine overfly at the Cavern Point, I suspect they are resident there; this is not the first time I see them at that location.
On the pelagic side, not too much to report: a fairly large number of black-vented shearwaters in the channel, which were surprisingly close to the shore on the way back to Ventura, so I would not be too surprised by the possibility of their sightings from the shore. I also had a pair of pink-footed shearwaters and two jaegers; one pomarine and one likely parasitic.

Kirill Shtengel
Oxnard

--
Kirill Shtengel