Topics

Owls and guidelines for not publicizing certain bird observations

Gage Ricard

There was some dismay expressed regarding the late and minimal information posted about the Long-eared Owls seen at Lake Los Carneros on Count Day. I do understand this feeling, but to look at another side of this issue, please see eBird's "Guidelines for Not Publicizing Certain Bird Observations," specifically the paragraph on Owls. At the Bird Count dinner last night, it was announced that detailed information about the owls' location was sensitive information and not divulged for that reason. I'm not an expert in these matters, but gratefully defer to the expertise of our local Birding Committee.

Gage Ricard
Santa Barbara