Topics

partially leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk

Thomas Turner

Peter’s hawk reminded me of one that was in that same area in 2017. In January 2017 I sent this email to SBCObiring:

There was a partially leucistic Red-tailed Hawk on my ride to work this morning. At least, I think that’s what it was. The dorssal side of the wings were mostly white, mottled with a little brown, but I could see a bit of tail and it looked reddish. The head was dark brown with a bit of white on top. It certainly seemed like a red-tail in shape, size and posture.

It was in a eucalyptus North of the marsh at family student housing (NW corner of Mesa Rd. and Los Carneros Rd.

And Mark Holmgren got a picture in February:

Steve Gaulin reported it again in March 2017, but I see no mention of it after that.

Sure sounds like the same bird! I haven’t seen the bird around Devereux or UCSB since then, and I think I would have noticed it (though I am not up in that precise area too often).

-Tom

On Oct 11, 2018, at 4:24 PM, Peter Schneekloth <peterschneekloth@...> wrote:

Thanks, I didn't recall but sure adds a level of interest. I may go back and look at the old posts if I have time, let me know if you get photo's.

On Thursday, October 11, 2018, 4:10:00 PM PDT, Thomas Turner <habarimbu@...> wrote:

There was a Red-Tailed matching that description hanging out at Hollister x Los Carneros last year. I saw it, and I seem to recall several people mentioning it on the list-serve. I wonder if it is wintering there and breeding elsewhere. I will have to try for a picture!

On Oct 11, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Peter Schneekloth via Groups.Io <peterschneekloth@...> wrote:

Stopped at Refugio this morning, Yellow-rumped, Wilsons, Yellow, Orange-crowned were only Warblers seen. They are very sneaky and come to the creek behind some cat tails on W bank of creek.

In Goleta their is a very weird Red-tail which I have seen serveral times above Hollister Ave at W end of Airport. It is mostly white on the top of the wings and shows some white plumage from below. It is very striking when you see the top from a distance.

The Newport Drive puddles are attracting birds but nothing but common Warblers this morning. One Orange-crowned has a rather large orange patch on top of its head which I inferred could not be hidden away.

Peter Schneekloth
Buellton

David Levasheff

This hawk (probably) was reported to me by a local resident in Sept 2015 in a private field south south west of El Camino school. I put a few photos of in an album of it on my Flickr page then. Jeff and I also observed the bird subsequently in the now developed open area north of the University Circle open space in Dec ‘15, Feb ‘16 and
maybe even later.
Nice to see it is still around.

David

On Oct 11, 2018, at 16:36, Thomas Turner <habarimbu@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Holmgren

Here again is the photo taken on 25 Feb 2017.
So if we have the following dates:
Jan 2017          Turner
25 Feb 2017     Holmgren
March 2017     Gaulin
11 Oct 2018     Schneekloth
Are there other observation dates and photos of this bird?
If, in fact, its NOT seen during our definite breeding window, then we might have evidence of a Red-tailed Hawk choosing to over winter in our area.  If true, there is little prior evidence that our area serves in that way--to support RtHas choosing to winter here.  Of course, we have plenty of Red-tails that pass through our area in migration.  We'd know more about issues like this if we had more local bird banders.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara