Topics

Pinyon Jays

Florence Sanchez

Dear Folks,

Apparently there is an irruption of Pinyon Jays in the county.  I knew something was odd when Wim posted a question re: records in BOSB not being in eBird.  And then there was that amazing post from Dave Compton about Pinyon Jays in the Lompoc area.  But until Joan Lentz kindly mentioned it in a private post to me this afternoon, I had no idea what was up.  (Thank you Dave and Joan, by the way.)

So folks, this plaintive plea has been made before:  Group Me is all very well for those that use it, but would you please post info like this to SBCOBirding for those of us who don't?

I am leaving town at the crack of dawn tomorrow, so my opportunities to chase this county bird are almost gone, but if anyone has a good sighting today, please let the rest of us know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Florence Sanchez

Wim van Dam

To be clear: the Pinyon Jay irruption was never mentioned on GroupMe before Dave's find. Instead I learned about it from using eBird, reading posts in other newsgroups, and from personal conversations with other birders.

Wim

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:48 PM Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Folks,

Apparently there is an irruption of Pinyon Jays in the county.  I knew something was odd when Wim posted a question re: records in BOSB not being in eBird.  And then there was that amazing post from Dave Compton about Pinyon Jays in the Lompoc area.  But until Joan Lentz kindly mentioned it in a private post to me this afternoon, I had no idea what was up.  (Thank you Dave and Joan, by the way.)

So folks, this plaintive plea has been made before:  Group Me is all very well for those that use it, but would you please post info like this to SBCOBirding for those of us who don't?

I am leaving town at the crack of dawn tomorrow, so my opportunities to chase this county bird are almost gone, but if anyone has a good sighting today, please let the rest of us know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #378+4: Blue-footed Booby