Topics

Possible Indigo Bunting at Lake Jocelyn

John Callender

Lake Jocelyn continues to be dry, but the tall weeds growing in the western part of the lakebed were very popular with buntings this afternoon. I saw a minimum 10 Lazuli Buntings, as well as one male bird that I at first entered as an Indigo Bunting, but now looking at photos I'm not sure; there are some light patches on the bird's lower belly that might indicate a Lazuli x Indigo Bunting hybrid. I'd be interested in opinions on that.

Photos in the eBird list below:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S72329745

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

A few helpful experts have weighed in privately to say it's a male Indigo Bunting, so I've changed the ID back to that in eBird. Thanks!

John Callender
Carpinteria